Security Installer Community

New Part P?

Vince8282

I just been perusing the new part p doc and it appears to say that if a diyer or an unqualified person ie without part p or sign off ability does the work then report it to building control then it is up to buiding control to get someone in to check the work but NOT at the customers expense.

IF this is so why would any body or firm want to register for part p etc. If I have mis-read it please let me know and point out the error of my way. If I havent mis-read it there is going to be one hell of a lot of angry sparks who have paid to be in a great position to get the work legally and now just don't need it. It would also mean that building control would foot the bill for the testing and inspection and I just can't see that happening.

Just another point in it about outside fixed wiring, if it's on a 13A plug top and plugged into a house socket, it does come under part p.

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

I just been perusing the new part p doc and it appears to say that if a diyer or an unqualified person ie without part p or sign off ability does the work then report it to building control then it is up to buiding control to get someone in to check the work but NOT at the customers expense.

IF this is so why would any body or firm want to register for part p etc. If I have mis-read it please let me know and point out the error of my way. If I havent mis-read it there is going to be one hell of a lot of angry sparks who have paid to be in a great position to get the work legally and now just don't need it. It would also mean that building control would foot the bill for the testing and inspection and I just can't see that happening.

Just another point in it about outside fixed wiring, if it's on a 13A plug top and plugged into a house socket, it does come under part p.

Thing that annoys me is the fact they class a qualified electrician the same as a DIYER now. :no:

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Im pretty sure the customer foots the bill for the local council to come round and inspect and test and i think its about

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

according to my local building inspector any cost incurred during inspection would be down to the customer, they only arrange the inspection.... the way i read into it, the ones who are doing the inspecting are going to make a lot of money.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

This part P thing is rely beginning to p*** me off, I have been a JIB registered approved electrician for 20+ years. Got enough qualifications to be a NIC-EIC qualifying officer, but not allowed to do my own electrical work at home.

Trade Member

Been that way since the beginning but no-one really noticed and most BCO's just say no when you ask them so there's not much you can do.

Regaridng the 13a Plug top, that does not come under Part P as its an extension lead and you havnt added any new circuits, should be protected by RCD though.

Someone on here mentioned that this has now been amended so that fixed wiring supplied from a plugtop should be classed as fixed wiring so needs to be signed off by a competent person.

Not checked myself though so don't know for sure.

Im pretty sure the customer foots the bill for the local council to come round and inspect and test and i think its about

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Just as I thought NOBODY has a clue what part p is all about who does what where or why. The DDPM has even less knowledge and as for the building control the less said the better.

Just how a company can be a competant person beats me.

On the new Approved document P page 11 paragraphs 1.21 and 1.26 are what started me thinking are we just a bunch of morons for allowing complete morons direct what should or should not be done in a safe manner within our trades. :ranting:

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

Archived