Security Installer Community

New Part P?

Vince8282

This part P thing is rely beginning to p*** me off, I have been a JIB registered approved electrician for 20+ years. Got enough qualifications to be a NIC-EIC qualifying officer, but not allowed to do my own electrical work at home.

This appears to be the big mis-conception. You CAN do the work but if it comes under notifiable work you must notify building control and they become responsible for making sure that your work is safe. The point I was making by starting this thread was that the work done or sub-contracted by building control would not be at the expense of the customer or DIYer if indeed the DIYer was the customer according to the additional notes on page 11 of the document P.

The point is how can the work be properly certified by a competant person if that competant person did not do the work...... and the plot thickens

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

The problem with all these checks and certifying is Part P does not expect you to rip up floorboards to do a complete check(test and inspection) as would be necessary to check other peoples work but it does expect what work you do do to be safe. If you are not a competant person by their definition but are competant by IEE regs definition you can do the work but it is the building control's responsibility to get it certified according to this new document at the building control expense. Also it would not be possible for anyone other than the original installer to complete an installation cert., they could only complete a PIR.etc

As for stopping the cowboys I think not.

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

• 3 months later...

[quote

Just another point in it about outside fixed wiring, if it's on a 13A plug top and plugged into a house socket, it does come under part p.

Anything run off a plugtop is classed as portable or transportable (not meaning dresses up in womes clothes!)

RCD protection as mentioned is a MUST!

Hope that helps

Billy

Solutions4CCTV

Keeping an eye on your property

Anything run off a plugtop is classed as portable or transportable

Was classed as portable, but now people are using it as a loophole for part p so fixed wiring is now fixed wiring, regardless of where it's fed from.

Now that the government have done a U turn on the home sellers pack the cowboys will rule again(give us yer money and tell no one) not that it stopped them in the first place :ranting:

Building control though will not accept the revised approved document P and usually insist that all work wether it comes under part P or not is signed off by a part P registered signeroffer. I believe it is because they neither know the rules themselves and/or don't want the hassel or expense of making sure that the work is safe, which is what the law is suposed to be all about(and if you believe that you will believe anything).

PS Any of you folks been on the part L course yet?

Archived