Security Installer Community

New House - Which Alarm And How To Run Cabling

ibruceuk

Hi all,

We are looking to move into a new property soon and I am researching the options with regards alarming the property.

I think I have narrowed it down to either a Galaxy Dimension or G2 OR Texecom Premier.

I will be DIY'ing it - I am a network engineer by trade and have previously been a telecoms engineer and electrical engineer.

I need it to protect numerous house zones (which isn't an issue) but also a detached workshop and an additional outbuilding.  Getting cabling to the outbuildings isn't a problem (underground ducting is in place).  In a normal disarm situation the outbuildings will need to remain armed and protected but with an option of disarming all areas if need be.  A keypad in each outbuilding will allow local disarming of that area if used also.

I believe that either of the Galaxy or Texecom will facilitate this configuration - am I correct in this assumption?

My second query is running the cabling inside the house.

The house is non-traditional with concrete floors/ceilings so traditional methods of running cabling in floor voids is not an option.  How would a professional go about installing a system in such a property with regard to hiding of cabling?

Thanks for any input....

Ian

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for the confusion... it's not a 'new' new house it's new to me!  So all trades etc are run already.  I've not got the keys yet but I know upstairs ceilings are all solid concrete and the upstairs floor is concrete but the ceiling might have been boarded downstairs as there are downlights fitted which obviously couldn't be in a solid ceiling but there would be no access to the cabling without hacking holes in it...

In Glasgow we have a lot of properties like yours which are Concrete Pre-Fabs.

Few points

Check when drilling into concrete for any asbestos and etc however I sure your Home Report will shown that.

We tend to run the cables with the rest of trades of electrical set up or I would tact then along corners and would advise home owner to paint over cable.

I would also be tempted to advise you with a Wireless Set-up as there are some good Wireless systems there now too.    You could even do Hybrid of House being Wired and Out buildings being wireless.  

Thanks for all the replies.  I guess I'll look at wireless in some more detail... Is there any preference between Galaxy and Texecom?

FYI - the floor plan is here and I marked the intended location of PIR's, Door contacts etc.

The panel isn't actually mounted in the toilet, there is a false back wall there with the consumer unit and incomer hidden behind a concealed door where there is also room for the panel.

FloorPlan

cheers!

That looks really good,  I would possible not bother with PIR on top landing which then allow when everyone asleep for you to set alarm. 

As there been a increase in burglars while people asleep and got in via unlocked door or broken a window.  (Lock all doors at Night!!!)

The used to always say Honeywell Galaxy system is the best however last few I installed they been small problems relating to the board which in my view is standards are slipping.    I have been installing more Visonic Systems and the PowerMax is a great kit or even the Yale SmartPhone or SmartHome is a good system by look at Spec as the Yale SmartHome system is a Grade 2 system. 

I properly get slagged for saying Yale System however the SmartHome is a grade 2 and is as good as the Galaxy, Visonic and Texecom Wireless Systems. 

That looks really good,  I would possible not bother with PIR on top landing which then allow when everyone asleep for you to set alarm.

IIRC in the 1970's alarms started having a part set option ;)

Edited by MrHappy

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

IIRC in the 1970's alarms started having a part set option ;)

Oft that is well before my time!!!!  I know most do have part set however just giving options. 

I go out and quote for alarm and quote for locks to bring up to standard and leave home owner of things to do for DiY!!!