Security Installer Community

Cutting Power To Music Equipment - Anything New Out There

Sorry Gon but I'd beg to differ, whether it's one second or 10 second fade, it relies on electronics to work, and yes so does a contactor, but surely killing a DJ feeds power full stop negates any issues?, apart from contactor failure, one less step in the loop to rely on?.

Sorry Gon but I'd beg to differ, whether it's one second or 10 second fade, it relies on electronics to work, and yes so does a contactor, but surely killing a DJ feeds power full stop negates any issues?, apart from contactor failure, one less step in the loop to rely on?.

depends on the kit id guess we could be talking rave ons phoenix club setup or a pro audio setup which has a fire input to it and uses it as the evac announcements  

As Rulland said, I always fitted a mains contactor to the music system supply so its going to shut down the music audio and allow the evac signal to be heard, no ambiguity, no blame on you when their music system goes tits and fails to work.

If the music system is the same PA/Amps as the fire PA then thats fine (Never seen it in a club though??), done similar in a shopping centre as long as the fire signal can under all conditions over ride any other audio input and the fire signal volume is fixed then Bobs your uncle and Fanny aint a virgin. :-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

• 1 month later...

It depends a little of the equipment :)  

Sometimes shutting the power off to all of the rack is fine - but some kit doesn't like that so could just power off the amps leaving the controller running just with nothing coming out of the speakers

If the fire alarm activates it should kill the music etc so that people can hear the alarm surely?, all this fading of the music via the dj stuff is it compliant?, can it fail?, be overridden accidentally or on purpose?, if it's electronically driven, which it must be if it fades, then there is the possibility of a fail to operate.

Cut all power to the DJ etc, no ambiguity imo.

Just saying.

when i've done it in the past we provided a volt free contact for the PA guys which went into some sort of controller which turned the amps down over a period of about 5 seconds, but then we also had a big contactor that shut the whole PA rack down 30 seconds later as a failsafe.

Lol, we have a pub / night club on Canal St in Manchester on the books, let's just say not my kind on place.

The fire alarm is **** and often go's into fault, they won't pay for a new system.

It cuts the sound system in fault or fire most often on a Saturday night at 1am. They phone up going mad as they lose so much £££.

i'm usually near that area... divert the calls to me, pay me the callout fee and i'll take care of it for ya ;)