Security Installer Community

Flashing Leds - Where To Buy ?

scotyjohn

The bell box on my alarm set up has the usual coloured lens area at the bottom where the strobe light will flash when the alarm is set off - sounding, what I want to add is a couple off " comfort lights " you know the two red / green whatever alternating lights that will show the alarm to be in operation, something my own alarm does not have.

problem is seem to be having problems tracking down anything like this, have looked on ebay and although there are so called dummy alarm lights similar to the above I honestly dont think at just 5mm in size each bulb they will be strong enough to show up, as my particular cover has a blue coloured lens area will I have to obtain blue coloured lights or will any colour still show thru ??

anyone able to possibly suggest a source off these alternating lights that would suit the above job ??

cheers

Guest anguscanplay

I honestly dont think at just 5mm in size each bulb they will be strong enough to show up,

how big do you think the ones you see already working are then?

they`ll be 5mm too just buy any you can find, you`ll be fine

The bell box on my alarm set up has the usual coloured lens area at the bottom where the strobe light will flash when the alarm is set off - sounding, what I want to add is a couple off " comfort lights " you know the two red / green whatever alternating lights that will show the alarm to be in operation, something my own alarm does not have.

problem is seem to be having problems tracking down anything like this, have looked on ebay and although there are so called dummy alarm lights similar to the above I honestly dont think at just 5mm in size each bulb they will be strong enough to show up, as my particular cover has a blue coloured lens area will I have to obtain blue coloured lights or will any colour still show thru ??

anyone able to possibly suggest a source off these alternating lights that would suit the above job ??

cheers

What bell box do you have?

Eucam Security Systems

0845 4630 746

www.eucam.co.uk

how big do you think the ones you see already working are then?

they`ll be 5mm too just buy any you can find, you`ll be fine

Okay cheers for all the comments / info guys.

okay ended up going for a Texecom housing with a couple off 5mm leds powered from the self contained lithiam ( spelling ??!! ) battery the came with them.

regards the comment above re. 5mm leds being bright enough ?? - funny enough the company who sold me the housing advised me that they would send both red and green coloured leds and see whats best as possibly they wont be strong enough for what I want.

just wonder if leds are normally stronger powered if they are actually powered via 12 volt rather than just say the supplied lithiam battery that they come with or is it purely down to the led used ??

cheers

p.s comments regards Fife- Pars fan ?? etc - Give me a break !! its only thru marriage I ended up here !!! no seriously must admitt its a great place to stay and a gers man now you ask !!!

Okay cheers for all the comments / info guys.

okay ended up going for a Texecom housing with a couple off 5mm leds powered from the self contained lithiam ( spelling ??!! ) battery the came with them.

regards the comment above re. 5mm leds being bright enough ?? - funny enough the company who sold me the housing advised me that they would send both red and green coloured leds and see whats best as possibly they wont be strong enough for what I want.

just wonder if leds are normally stronger powered if they are actually powered via 12 volt rather than just say the supplied lithiam battery that they come with or is it purely down to the led used ??

cheers

p.s comments regards Fife- Pars fan ?? etc - Give me a break !! its only thru marriage I ended up here !!! no seriously must admitt its a great place to stay and a gers man now you ask !!!

If you powered a std LED via 12v battery it will blow they work on about 1.5v and need a 1K ohm resistor in series. You can get 12v LEDS

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=35782

And you can get bright std LEDs (that will need a resistor) and all sorts

http://www.maplin.co.uk/family.aspx?menu=1...Optoelectronics

If you powered a std LED via 12v battery it will blow they work on about 1.5v and need a 1K ohm resistor in series. You can get 12v LEDS

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=35782

And you can get bright std LEDs (that will need a resistor) and all sorts

http://www.maplin.co.uk/family.aspx?menu=1...Optoelectronics

Okay thats great appreciatte the info / links, okay regards the 12 volt leds, the 12 volt battery that is within the alarm sounder box, any advice on just what I would require to add to the two pins off LED, can I just wire a +- wire from these points straight to the battery ??

as I say will see how I get on with the new units hopefully they might actually turn out okay ie. strong enough to be viewed from a distance. would still like to know exactly where to buy the actual alternating leds that come fitted to a lot alarm sounders as supplied, surely they can just be purchased seperatly rather than having to so called dummy alarm led lights ??

hang on you keep saying lithium battery etc.

Your not using a rechargable nicad out of a sounder to run these are you?

If they are to run of a battery they usally run from a d or c cell 1.5v battery and the holder and everything comes complete.

If you want to run a normal led of a 12v source (they are usually 5v) then as above you need a current limiting resistor. 1k will do here here but it depends on your load (ie of the led)

you could buy the leds seperatly but they wouldnrt be synced.

For the sake of a sounder id just buy one fo them.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived