Security Installer Community

Is This A Security Leak

Guest Ron

I am new on here and as I said on my introduction I am doing a course at college for Intruder Alarms. (I am 53) just thought I would add that incase there was any misunderstanding lol.

So I have been doing a lot of hunting on the internet for anything that would help me, and came across this:

Link removed from public forum

While I have been reading through this site I have found that unless you are in the trade, there is no chance of getting hold of manuals for systems. If this sale on ebay is true then there is a lot of manuals available.

your comments on this could be interesting

I am only doing the course for my own interest as I have a disability, and learning keeps me going, maybe I will be able to do a system in my home or at least maintain it.

Also there is a book "How to bypass alarm systems"

whats the world coming to

Ron

Hi Ron, Welcome to the forum.

User manuals are not so much of a problem, its the installation manuals that are the main concern.

I think you will find the book gives advice and information on very old technology, I may be wrong but thats what I recall from the book being brought up in conversation before.

hi ron,

if you really want to know how to simply 'bypass any alarm system' watch all the re-runs of the 'A TEAM' or 007 movies for free on digital Tv.

it's so eeeeeaaaazzzzy peeeeezzzyy! :no:

don't try this outside of your own home :no:

:hmm: a poor alarm would require a minimal ammount of ability to overcome, where as a decently designed and installed alarm will present more of a problem which serves as a detterent - it's easier for the criminal to go next door where there isn't one.

an a alarm system, no matter how sophiosticated (other than initial deterant value) can not stop a full on intrussion taking place - it will not attack or inprison the intruder, but given the noise created and the wrisk of confrontation with the occupants, neighbours or Police it usually serve's to restrict the 'visit' to a few minutes, so reducing to partial, rather than total loss/damage.

if a thief wants your DVD Player, a quick 'smash and grab' through the patio french doors is hard to stop without physical barriers.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 5 months later...
Its sad that some engineers are so stupid ! can they not see that if everyone had access to the engineers manual there would be no need for engineers?

I totally disagree, whats in the manual is a really small part of the knowledge and ability of the average engineer. The point is proved by the fact there has been hundreds of DIYers on here who have bought panels and still cant get them up and running without the help of an engineer, even though they have the manuals etc.

The manuals give away the secrets of operation and ability etc, they dont make you into a competant person!

I totally disagree, whats in the manual is a really small part of the knowledge and ability of the average engineer. The point is proved by the fact there has been hundreds of DIYers on here who have bought panels and still cant get them up and running without the help of an engineer, even though they have the manuals etc.

The manuals give away the secrets of operation and ability etc, they dont make you into a competant person!

Spot on, a very incisive comment. :bruce_h4h:

As an related observation, the objection to publishing manuals is, in my view, only defendable on the basis of avoiding giving out defaulting information that could potentially be of value to a thief. 99% of the content is useful information that could be shared to anyone who had an interest. If it was organised differently then maybe the rules would be different (but it won't be) :no:

You say it all in the last statement, what if one of your customers got hold of an engineering manual and decided to reset his own panel when it goes off to save on callouts, only as you quite rightly put it he is not a competant person, so instead of reseting the panel he unknowingly defaults the settings. A month or so later he has a burglary and the alarm fails to operate, who will he blame, he defenately wont admit to playing with the programming himself will he?
That is a totally different statement to your previous one which was ....
can they not see that if everyone had access to the engineers manual there would be no need for engineers?

I dont disagree with your comments about defaulting Pete but i do disagree with your comments about needing engineers.

Also i doubt that the people selling the manuals are engineers, from what ive seen they tend to be dealers and its not theyre fault there is a market for the manuals. While im not pointing any fingers of blame, here is another observation. The original manual CD on sale on Ebay is strikingly similar to the collection of manuals we have here. That was surely copied and started the ball rolling but i suppose that was inevitable.

The powers that be for the various manufactures dont seem to be upset at all by the availability of the manuals yet we are (for all the right reasons) and we cant do nothing about it!

Within the manuals it dosnt show or tell you how to sort out the faults or find what is at fault......

thats where the knowledge comes in from us guys :P Yes i agree that manuals shouldnt be available to the public but we will never stop it from happening as long as the manufacturers and wholesalers are getting greedy and selling to everyone.

lee

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

Guest jonnymac101

ron dont loose any sleep an engineer code will never over ride a master user code .... and with the new regs at the moment if the alarms set up right no engineer will get access untill the master code lets em

• 1 month later...

Archived