Security Installer Community

Is This A Security Leak

Guest Ron

:hmm: don't know how many panels would retain the log or codes on a factory default, because defaulting the panel means to me 'as it left the factory', and let alone complete power down not wiping the log.

the panels i use are more than 'half decent' used and respected by many in these forums. fully compliant and insurrance approved, but they don't retain the log in non-volotile memory - what standard requires this as yet?.

I'll bet you going back to factory defaults retains the event log on just about every modern control which are suitable for remote signaling (any half decent stuff)

I would expect the log to be lost if memory depends on a button cell.

:hmm: Tell you what alan, default one of your controls after popping a few enteries in the log & report back.....

Hi Mr Happy,

the panel fitted at home has built in digi (so connectable), and i know it loses the log and time and date, but then its nearly 2 years old now, we digrees but if recent version's do retain the log i just have not noticed it and thier doing so simply serves to stregnthen my case imo, as the interference would be recorded so easily proved.

as with others make always they cleared the log as well as time and date on total power down (but not any settings or codes). this may have changed but do not have a recent panel to hand, and tech closed a 5pm.

so what make allows to alter codes without any proceedure or interference? (pm me for obvious security reasons) i'd be astonished.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Well from one old begger to another i think it not so much a security risk as the manuals getting in to the wrong hands...i.e your 10 year old!!!....what is it they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing....i friend of mine is an automotive locksmith he does have a manual(brought from a industry supplier)which tells him how to open new cars(although out of date when new model arrives)...this never appears on the internet for sale(good job wouldnt want to spend circa

and i know it loses the log and time and date, but then its nearly 2 years old now, we digrees but if recent version's do retain the log i just have not noticed it and thier doing so simply serves to stregnthen my case imo, as the interference would be recorded so easily proved.

every thing with out a battery on the pcb will lose time / date on power loss

the event log should still be there regardless of power loss / defaulting.

eventually the log will be overwritten depending on system in a matter of weeks

so what make allows to alter codes without any proceedure or interference? (pm me for obvious security reasons) i'd be astonished.

:hmm: i think where taking with crossed wires here, many products you can default the master & engineer codes without changing the set up..... yours & mine, many others..

........many products you can default the master & engineer codes without changing the set up..... yours & mine, many others..

QFA Mr Happy,

you said 'half decent' panels so i thought you was having a little banter dig, and saying yours were a bit more robust.

my point is by having the manual (subject of the discussion) will not help our determined felon. he/she has to have access to the panel first, even assuming when not armed it will cause the external sirens to activate at least (not stating why on purpose).

so assuming he has readup on the proceedure in advance - it still won't help him, it's not a blueprint that can be used to overcome an alarm system due to the safegaurds (see previous post to MJW).

regs

alan

Banter me? NEVER :P

even assuming when not armed it will cause the external sirens to activate at least (not stating why on purpose).

maybe, maybe not

even assuming so assuming he has readup on the proceedure in advance

why give any one even the hint of how it works, give them a book & sooner or later its in bits beacause they know better....

just to clean it up a bit, i dropped the quotes.

worrying about someone reading the engineers manual - and making sense of it imho is not a problem.

inside job -:

1) engineer operations are done using an engineer code.

2) a so minded client wishing to claim against an installers efficy by changing the programming will need either to know the engineers code in advance or default his panel.

3) defaulting the panel will remove the 'secret' this engineers code.

4) should a claim be made, you or you engineer will attend and insert you code - it won't work.

5) you will know from this the program has been tampered with - and call for a supervisor or another engineer to witness (thats if you gotta brain).

not an inside job-:

a) villain buys manual off ebay and reads every line.

B) we assume he has the right manual.

c) how will he gain access when premmises is open?

d) how will he gain access when premmises is closed?

e) having got to the panel un-noticed, why the hell would he bother to reprogram it at this stage?

f) not known any villians to break in and hoover up just to be nice :no:

conclusion-:

despite valliant efforts, and i really want to be on the 'no' side here, i remain unconvinced security is in any way lowered by a felon having access to an alarm panels engineers manual.

regs

alan

Well from one old begger to another i think it not so much a security risk as the manuals getting in to the wrong hands...i.e your 10 year old!!!....what is it they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing....i friend of mine is an automotive locksmith he does have a manual(brought from a industry supplier)which tells him how to open new cars(although out of date when new model arrives)...this never appears on the internet for sale(good job wouldnt want to spend circa

Archived