Security Installer Community

Advice On Pet Proof Alarm System?

Guest EnglishDude

a certain cockney wide boy.... :hmm:

gonna roll ought my bara into twade

:rolleyes:

arfur_mo

Tips and tricks, read them. pay particular attention to R1 + R2 acheved by shorting spare pairs at detection device all tested from expander or panel, it easy fast and acurate.

Jef

Why am i posting in public forums?

cheers jeff, will do but r u not then adding the cable resistance of the spare pairs to the measurement? as to make it 'worth it' you would only do this on longer 'runs'.

arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

cheers jeff, will do but r u not then adding the cable resistance of the spare pairs to the measurement? as to make it 'worth it' you would only do this on longer 'runs'.

arfur

No every core of cable is "scientifically recorded" the same size as each other core within the sheath so it follows "fact" that the resistive value is the same for each core. If you accept this then recording R1 + R2 of the spare cores will give you the resistive impedance (less meter leads and detector) So therefore the resistance value of these cables are the same for the detector.

The second method is to use a meter with a REL function that records the additional decimal places. To do this, subtract the known value of the EOL and measure away.

Now ALL detectors can be EASILY tested from source. do you get it now.

Arfur mo what have you been doing all these years that prevents you understanding the basics?.

Jef

Customers!

Arfur mo what have you been doing all these years that prevents you understanding the basics?.

Jef

Saucer of milk for the Jefster please miss.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Any chance of some shorter posts

thanks mr happy, obviously you/they use a panel i do not know, i assume its the galaxie range, as that seems to get most posts - be it for configs or software bugs or work arrounds (at least that never changes even with age :P )

microtech :eekout: never been a fan

ok, so you short circuit in the panel/expander for EOL checking, you have the EOL resistor in this location and not out on the zone. that would make good sense to me on larger install, as if you need to use a meter everything can be tested easier from this point.

Resistor are in the devices at the END of line, a meter used because its calibrated

the much smaller panels i use do not have a facility for an engineer keypad to be plugged in to an expander, but its gone on my wish list.

your just buying the wrong kit

when you run your pc test it's surely from the main panel, so you must use a couple of other engineers and '2 ways' with you in control center if you are going to test/record each door - thats got to equal a massive maintenance charge to make any money?

just one man with a meter on site and '2 ways' is that double ended plastic dick :P

on those massive jobs is the above done every six months at each expander, or do you do a proportion of them each time? i'm just trying to get my head arround the logistics.

Every thing should be tested or done with in 21 days of visit

do you remove the 'branches' from the main panel and test for earth leakage? or simply go 'volts to earth' from the 12v rail both legs? i'd assume these jobs would hate a couple of decent 'earths'.

given the big leaps forward made in the in recent years, is it now 'accepted practic' for the panel to take the readings? i ask as big fuss was made by the then NACOSS of your meter being re-calabrated and certified every year. but obviously you do not rip the controls out every 12 months so a bit of a contradiction.

what i see as a problem is the controls takes the readings but say its 'off', you will then test with a calebrated meter when fault finding, and measurements will be within bounds, so is it not a bit of a nightmare or at least frustrating or is there an on-site calbration routine?

on iD records, i have no guidance without the 'NSI regs' not being registered, but given you can wire branch or star fashion it seems difficult to make any meaningful mesurements.

NCAP was written long before iD

lastly - do you slowly roast the installation engineer over a fire made of old battery cartons if he puts the expander/psu 40 feet in the air?

all far too lazy to get the ladder is work that high inside

thanks for any guidance - trying hard to stay aware of and use good practice.

arfur_mo

Tips and tricks, read them. pay particular attention to R1 + R2 acheved by shorting spare pairs at detection device all tested from expander or panel, it easy fast and acurate.

Jef

Why am i posting in public forums?

If you use your spare pairs to double up power you'll have useful short to compair agaist the reading taken from the detector, also you can take your volts dc at the device at the same time.

Archived