Security Installer Community

Curious About Wiring

ranger

Under raised floors, yes. Above ceilings. :hmm: I wouldn't like to rest a pair of sidecutters on some ceiling tiles, let alone send a car bouncing on and off tiles after being launched off every T bar on the way across.

Much better idea is one of these (if you happen to be loaded)!

Woh.

Imagine the fun I could have with one of them :ninja:

Cracking bit of kit.

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

I use drainrods, bend the first one and tape an empty pop bottle on the end, using the bend and the bottle it goes over/under/around most obsticles. Theyre also excellent for cabling in basket or tray or purlins and funnily enough, ducts.

Under raised floors, yes. Above ceilings. :hmm: I wouldn't like to rest a pair of sidecutters on some ceiling tiles, let alone send a car bouncing on and off tiles after being launched off every T bar on the way across.

Much better idea is one of these (if you happen to be loaded)!

We got one of those. Bought it about 5 years ago. Still sitting in the garage :unsure:

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Can i take it as read that you guys lay cables across false ceilings then. Out of sight out of mind? Oh dear

My thoughts exactly :unsure:

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Although it's a while since I installed, I am guilty of 'hanging cables above ceiling's, where on I mean tie wrapped 'quite' regularly usually from the ceiling eye-hooks. Not ideal I know but what do you chaps do instead?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Although it's a while since I installed, I am guilty of 'hanging cables above ceiling's, where on I mean tie wrapped 'quite' regularly usually from the ceiling eye-hooks. Not ideal I know but what do you chaps do instead?
Believe this or not what you do complies with wiring regs. Installers who lay cables across ceilings are not installing they are "throwing it in" to coin a phrase. Our standard method in the absence of cable support systems is to remove every other tile around the perimeter and support the cable from the fabric of the building, i personally have often cable clipped cables to the ceiling shadow batten.

Jef.

Customers!

Archived