Security Installer Community

Curious About Wiring

ranger

Believe this or not what you do complies with wiring regs. Installers who lay cables across ceilings are not installing they are "throwing it in" to coin a phrase. Our standard method in the absence of cable support systems is to remove every other tile around the perimeter and support the cable from the fabric of the building, i personally have often cable clipped cables to the ceiling shadow batten.

Jef.

Why would I not believe that it is within reg's? if it was not I would not do it. They are not laid across the grid but suspended (albeit loosely) above the grid, not ideal I agree. Do you replace all the tile clips you remove?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Why would I not believe that it is within reg's? if it was not I would not do it. They are not laid across the grid but suspended (albeit loosely) above the grid, not ideal I agree. Do you replace all the tile clips you remove?
Norman I hope you didn

Customers!

We got one of those. Bought it about 5 years ago. Still sitting in the garage :unsure:

Can I have it? :)

Can i take it as read that you guys lay cables across false ceilings then. :no: Out of sight out of mind? :yes: Oh dear.

Nope, if access is difficult, due to office staff etc.. not wanting dust and sh*te in their hair, then I will throw them across the ceiling then go back after and tie them up so I'm up the steps, tile out, tie cables up, replace tile and down steps. Much quicker than up and down backwards and forwards.

For INSTALLING cables :rolleyes:

Jef

Well, for throwing them over false ceilings.

If cables were meant to be tied to the ceiling hooks/walls above false ceilings then surely that little tool would have a device to do that as well? :ninja:

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Well, it does, sort of, if you tie it to a catenary with cables tied to it, although I've not got one. :(

I have thrown prewired catenaries above ceilings before where I've wanted to get a premeasured off length of cables across a void.

I was only being facetious for Jeff's amusement :) but it probably didn't come out that way.

Never thought of using catenary indoors. You electrician types ;)

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

I was only being facetious for Jeff's amusement :) but it probably didn't come out that way.

I know, I was just throwing some more handy tips in the mix. ;)

Never thought of using catenary indoors. You electrician types ;)

So what you're saying is sparkies are better than alarm installation engineers. :whistle:

/locks the door and hides!

Archived