Security Installer Community

Curious About Wiring

ranger

Hello,

I have been wondering to myself for a long time now how you guys feed the cables in the walls.

If it is in the electric socket conduit... where does this cable end up?

Then you produce an RKP on the wall.. does this have to be infront of a conduit? Or is there something else

Any points/tips and info on the wiring would be a great help to put my mind at rest.

The above is my personal opinion and not that of my employer or anyone else.

i often wonder how as well. could only conclude the wire goes in before the plaster. :hmm:

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Yeah thats all i could think off.. an install like that would be the easiest i suppose.. alot simpler.

But most alarms are installed into houses or businesses later on so its got me a bit confused.

The above is my personal opinion and not that of my employer or anyone else.

Basically its just finding gaps to run wires, buildings are not built solid and always have cavities and other gaps all over them.

Depending on the calibre of the engineer depends how well he/she hides cables, its not something one can learn overnight. Connecting them up tends to be the easy bit.

Other than that it would be very hard to explain hows its done, but a good engineer will hide 99% of cabling in most buildings

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Bang on monteey,

There is also special tools you can buy to assist in the hiding of cables.

For example you can buy a special cable rod set which is like a miniture version of drain rods about half as thick as a pencil, you can drill a small hole in the wall and use the rods to either push / pull through the cavity and then attach your wire to the other end and pull back.

Link to the rods HERE.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

i also have a set of six rods, cost a bit mind, but worth every pound spent, they have saved me a lot of heavy work. ( only thing i came across that was better, was that cat someone on this forum had do the work for him, -- he he -- i want one of those, preferablly 12mm size).

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Hello,

I have been wondering to myself for a long time now how you guys feed the cables in the walls.

If it is in the electric socket conduit... where does this cable end up?

Then you produce an RKP on the wall.. does this have to be infront of a conduit? Or is there something else

Any points/tips and info on the wiring would be a great help to put my mind at rest.

years and years and years of experience and a hell of a lot of luck most times............! :rolleyes::yes::P

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Ranger, please, please do not try and go anywhere near the mains cable conduit. Besides the risk of electrocuting someone, the alarm cabling is best kept well away from mains cable runs.

Guest Trulloman

I know an engineer use a remote control car without the body, tie a cable to it and send it across a false ceiling. Save lifting out loads of tiles!

Archived