Security Installer Community

Broadband Dropping Out

Guest ALSEC

I would say personaly that the router is not to blame but it does sound like a line problem.

I personally would say if the wireless is dropping out intermittently too it could well be the router, of course, wireless does drop out from time to time on mine and the laptop and AP are only a few feet apart.

• 7 months later...

Getting back to the original problem, my mate has been having hassle with his broadband since Christmas if you plug the router to the master socket without any front plate or internal wiring connected all is OK. If you connect a wire that goes up the wall to the first floor bedroom it drops out. The wire is only 2-3m long ran near no mains so what can be wrong with it, even rewired it and still it drops out. Connect the rest of the house and no way will it work.

Any Ideas plus are there any other ways us mortals can test ADSL signal?

Regards Paul

PS the house is a long way from the exchange.

Trade Member

Guest ALSEC
Getting back to the original problem, my mate has been having hassle with his broadband since Christmas if you plug the router to the master socket without any front plate or internal wiring connected all is OK. If you connect a wire that goes up the wall to the first floor bedroom it drops out. The wire is only 2-3m long ran near no mains so what can be wrong with it, even rewired it and still it drops out. Connect the rest of the house and no way will it work.

Regards Paul

I think most routers will give you signal details of the ADSL but what it all means is a differnet story - maybe some internet forum may be able to help - maybe even have an engineers manual???

Is something else on the internal wiring dragging it all down? What about if you connect router to master socket on fly lead which you know is 100% - maybe that extra 2m is just too much

The wire is only 2-3m long ran near no mains so what can be wrong with it

Bad connection.

Poor/incorrect/intermittant termination.

Hi-Res cable.

Damaged/punctured cable.

Cable cores shorting on carpet gripper.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Regards Paul

hi paul,

do you not need an adsl filter at each socket and connect handset vis it? i did this for a mate and it solved problems of interner dropping out on phone calls.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Now we are going back to basics :P

Ranger

The above is my personal opinion and not that of my employer or anyone else.

Archived