Security Installer Community

Broadband Dropping Out

Guest ALSEC

No need to plug filters unless you are also plugging in analogue telephony devices.

Your method may have worked in that instance but that could more likely be dodgy line\extension wiring\filters........ anything really.

Indeed :yes:

The above is my personal opinion and not that of my employer or anyone else.

Here in Hull on Karoo's broadband, we get all sorts of problems. Karoo offer to supply (for a fee of course) a router compatible with their service. Theres a choice of 2 types and they are both ****. The most common problem here in Hull for constant dropping of connection is having an incompatible router. Now heres the issue. All routers SHOULD be compatible and I'm sure theres subtle settings in the routers set-up that will cure this but Karoo, when you ring for advice, will simply tell you that they don't support the router unless its one they provide. So they sidestep the issue there.

Another issue with Karoo is that their DNS servers block pings. My Billion router on each connection tells me in the status log that it cannot send a message to the DNS servers (01/01/1970 00:00:38> ppp_Comeup() : FAILED to send message to DDNS) as the router claims. So I've come to the conclusion the ping block from the DNS servers causes this. I have no option to override this but the router more or less ignores it anyways. But I can't help but think that theres more to this than meets the eye. My connection drops for example, could be caused by this but I have no way to tell or prove it. I'm computer literate but I ain't no IT expert.

At the end of the day, lots of routers will have details in their instructions saying that they are compatible with various ISP's but the only way to be really sure is to contact your ISP and ask them what routers they themselves support.

ACE.gif

Yeah a mate of mine has a very similar problem with his but wait..

He can still talk / chat / be online with Yahoo Messenger etc but can't access any website and he can't ping the DNS servers at this time either, yet normally he can..

I'd suggest a work around is find a couple of "unblocked" DNS servers or find your ISP's DNS IP's and FIX them in the routers settings..

Mine does random things but never drops me out, I can't play certain games unless I host and even then not always, darn D-Link POS, time to fire up my Thomson Speedtouch USB modem again and switch back on the software router that sometimes gave me grief (out of DNS records indeed)....

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Karoo offer to supply (for a fee of course) a router compatible with their service. Theres a choice of 2 types and they are both ****.

What routers to they supply OOI? The couple of times I've dealt with Kingston and ADSL services they have supplied Cisco routers. This was for a business service though so maybe they dish out the **** to the domestics?

Now we are going back to basics :P

Ranger

:P

with all due respects to paul, i know but being on cable myself and those freinds being 'non tech's' i wonder how many other people are in ignorant bliss of these basics?

sometimes its the 'obvious' which is missed for the sake of reading the manual :banned:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

:P

with all due respects to paul, i know but being on cable myself and those freinds being 'non tech's' i wonder how many other people are in ignorant bliss of these basics?

sometimes its the 'obvious' which is missed for the sake of reading the manual :banned:

regs

alan

Arfur, just yesterday we had an installer (from a good Company) who was setting up a DVR with remote monitoring and did not know where to find IE on his XP machine, novice just isn

System Q Ltd.

no doubt in 10 years will end up setting up the new NHS computer system! What

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Yeah maybe it will be just about ready to come on line by that point they'll have fixed all the problems out... It's sheer volume of users that's the problem - that and anitique equipement, got a mate that works for them down south he's not best pleased shall we say..

What happens when you let the "monkeys" arrange things...

Hope they get it right, you could go in for check up and come out with having had a sex change and needing a bra not a not Van for work.

System Q Ltd.

Archived