Security Installer Community

Relays

Still not recovered from holiday yet Bri?

I just start it off and get everyone else to do the rest, some things like relays are beyond the best, just the way you think of them working. Get people to think about how they want them to work and how they go about it then think about how you're going to achieve it. If you give everyone the answer straight away no one learns by thinking, and our trade is about thinking about solutions. :hmm:

Bri

trade.gif

Is it just me or is it the new group of engineers struggle to come to grips with the concept of a relay. I think its because the panels they have been trained on can do so much yet throw in a relay then all hell breaks loose. I have nothing against the guys that ask how it works etc but no time for the guys that say they know what they are doing only to make a dogs dinner out of it.

cheers Kev

Is it just me or is it the new group of engineers struggle to come to grips with the concept of a relay.

Not just relays, I'm quite often asked which resistor is which.. what's the diode for accross the relay.. etc..

Seems to me that quite a lot of the new breed of engineers have little or no understanding of basic components.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

All engineers i know have no idea how to use relays/resistors/diodes or any electrical component for that matter. All they know is how to wire standard alarm components using standard alarm loops. They would be stuffed if they had to do anything to do with EOL, etc.

Always taking the easy route if you ask me. Nothing really to learn then.

Trade Member

Is it just me or is it the new group of engineers struggle to come to grips with the concept of a relay. I think its because the panels they have been trained on can do so much yet throw in a relay then all hell breaks loose. I have nothing against the guys that ask how it works etc but no time for the guys that say they know what they are doing only to make a dogs dinner out of it.
I can only comment on my own engineers who have transistorised relays (a most useful device) as standard issue even for use on new panels. And I would be seriously disappointed if even a one year trainee couldn

Customers!

• 1 month later...
Guest Trulloman

I like to see new trainees/engineers get their head around wiring and connecting things like the old Monive panel.

It makes them think about what they are doing then they understand it more.

Manufactures are making it to easy from them now, they just connect the circuit to panel, program panel, function works. No understanding of how it works - no need to think!

........... ah, but the thought process of the young engineers is something like, must wire up this control panel...... that blonde last night was a bit tasty.......... red into that terminal... blue into.... must ring my pals and arrange to meet up tonight....... no, blue into....... wonder who united are playing on saturday.......... why is the blue in that terminal???........

Coldshire - afterall - doesn't seem to differ very much from the island shires..

:lol:

Guest Trulloman
........... ah, but the thought process of the young engineers is something like, must wire up this control panel...... that blonde last night was a bit tasty.......... red into that terminal... blue into.... must ring my pals and arrange to meet up tonight....... no, blue into....... wonder who united are playing on saturday.......... why is the blue in that terminal???........

So they do think then! The only time they seem to respond is when they get paid or when you wake them to kick them out the van.

Archived