Security Installer Community

Relays

Hi,

Ive just started as a service engineer and seem to be picking it up quite quick, though the one thing that id niggling me is how do relays work? I cant seem to get my head round how to wire them up (double pole relays) or what triggers them or how to connect them to the outputs etc, if anyone could explain this or maybe show diagrams etc it would be much appreciated. :rolleyes:

cheers

Nedia

great for a quick fix with cable faults.. :ninja:

come on gentlemen are you not being a bit harsh on us young engineers.

we do try!!! :P

harsh when expecting to understand at least what is U/I (OR V/I as you have it there) not even mentionin Z yet. Or how the relay works. What are C and L?

those are basics in the vocational school at the first year for pete's sake! IAS's are electonics and if you are installing them at least basic electrical studies should have been done. If not in school but at least by self learning!

harsh when expecting to understand at least what is U/I (OR V/I as you have it there) not even mentionin Z yet. Or how the relay works. What are C and L?

those are basics in the vocational school at the first year for pete's sake! IAS's are electonics and if you are installing them at least basic electrical studies should have been done. If not in school but at least by self learning!

The general quality of apprentices has been poor of late Georg.

As i'm sure several of the others will agree, lack of interest or motivation have been big issues of late.

I was plesantly supprised by one apprentice recently though, He was keen to learn and picked skills up quickly. :) Rare traits of late

It's encouraging to see some of the younger guys on here trying to learn and further their knowledge, as not many do :(

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

The general quality of apprentices has been poor of late Georg.

As i'm sure several of the others will agree, lack of interest or motivation have been big issues of late.

I was plesantly supprised by one apprentice recently though, He was keen to learn and picked skills up quickly. :) Rare traits of late

It's encouraging to see some of the younger guys on here trying to learn and further their knowledge, as not many do :(

Regards

Bellman

same sh#t here exept no pleasant surprises :fear:

:realmad: generally: why did I have to go to school and learn everything and then try to teach all the fine art to a person who doesn't even know ohm's law, lack of attitude, interest and motivation? :ranting:

........... ah, but the thought process of the young engineers is something like, must wire up this control panel...... that blonde last night was a bit tasty.......... red into that terminal... blue into.... must ring my pals and arrange to meet up tonight....... no, blue into....... wonder who united are playing on saturday.......... why is the blue in that terminal???........

and...it doesnt stop at the young,uns...cheeky //.B.W.F.//... :ninja:

With most relays - you can see the guts inside.....not rocket science.

I remember the days when you would get an electronics kit for christmas, the ones with lots of small ink wires, and 'sring' type terminals around all the components........thats the way to learn :)

I agree, apprentices don't seem motivated, only by money. They want more money, and want a van to out alone in.....but are simply not 100% interested in the job.

MY latest apprentice drives me mad - you say things time and time again, and it doesn't go in. I can stand and say something, trying to teach, and I can see his mind is elsewhere.......and BLOODY MOBILE phones.....banning them at work soon!

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

I remember the days when you would get an electronics kit for christmas, the ones with lots of small ink wires, and 'sring' type terminals around all the components........thats the way to learn :)

Erm, I have got my lad one for crimbo this year, he's 6, I cant wait to crack it open. :)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Archived