Security Installer Community

Outside Christmas Lights & Part P

Guest aechlin

Guest aechlin

With the introduction of Part P that we are all familiar with, how do people stand this year with reference to installing their illuminated santa's and snowmen on their roofs and in their gardens? Looking at Part P, the diy'r can install elv garden lighting providing they are CE marked. Lets say that Mr Smith (or Mrs Smith, lets not get PC here) wants to install their CE marked lights, will the Christmas Light Police from the Council come round and inspect the area, fine Mr or Mrs Smith for not using a RCD to protect the 10 banks of four trailing sockets and leave demanding payment for their time spent away from the luxuries of their office? I personally dont par-take in the ritual of dressing my home up in colourful lights, but it just interests me in the huge number of households that do, and the legislation that is in force now.The Council will have the right to print money with this.

Is my brain over reacting or is there really Christmas Light Police.......

Whats your thoughts?

Alistair

to add: A string of lights in series wont count for elv, will it??

Christmas light will be just plugged in, so they are not covered. Should be some people get a 4way extention lead double adapters and more 4ways of that creating 4072 circuits of one plug, National Lampons here we come.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

What have crimbo lights got to do with Part P?

67639[/snapback]

You'd be surprised! No doubt they'll come under some law when someone realises that we can plug things in without having to give the government money. :rolleyes:

Ah Part P

Part P only applies to Fixed wiring such as cables to sockets/switches or outlets etc etc. :yes:

Christmas lights, illuminated santas etc should be plugged in and as mentioned are not covered by Part P. If however you wire them into the mains (waterproof junction Boxes outside the house or into a fused switch or connection unit, they become 'fixed' and are then govened by the regulations of part P

SO as long as they are kept on plug sall is ok ;)

• 2 weeks later...
One account per user, please.

Please do not register multiple accounts. Whether they are created for the purposes of trolling, arguing with yourself, or supporting your own arguments, using alternate nicknames and accounts is considered to be spamming and / or trolling, depending on circumstances.

Just to quote the Rules...

post-1-1127414209.gif

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

• 4 weeks later...

You should see my display, it draws 43Amps at 240v, half of it runs on 110v via 2 large transformers which draw 20 amp combined (which makes up half of the total load at 240v) The display has just grown and grown, been doing it for over 10 years now, I

Archived