Security Installer Community

Ca67 Sentinal Control panel

Guest oceanpie

Steve, nvq level 3 in electrical installation, city & guilds 2360 parts 1&2, AM1 & 2 Certificates, too many alarm, cctv qualifications to mention, not to mention having 2 of my own companies....... I think I've justified my rank as an engineer at least!!! :D

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Guest stevendt

Tony,

if that last one was aimed at me - then now who needs glasses ?

The name is DAVE actually.

(I won't bore you with the history of the handle I use but it is associated with how my e-mail address is formulated)

Dave

BSc MIEE CEng

OK, I give up.

Hope you guys get a kick out of being so "helpful"

Dave

(p.s. - what makes guys with a screwdriver think that they are "engineers" anyway ?)

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

62385[/snapback]

For the majority of us its because we have being in the trade for 20+ years.

We don,t mean to be rude but the lads are right - if you had an engineer manual you may be able to figure out how to program /fix your alarm but you may may make a mistake that effects the working of your alarm and it does,nt go off when you want it to.

The invoive for £175 does seem a bit steep,did you not ask for an estimate first before he started work so as you knew the minimum or maximum you would be charged. Maybe if you did take up a maintainance contract this bill could be taken off the cost of said contract?

I would ring up a few local companies and get quotes for contracts.

We have a policy not to give out installation manuals. As an end user an user manual is all you should need once you have a code. Now i appreciate this is what you are trying to get so contact a local reputable company and they,ll sort you out. Again we are not being awkward , we are being professional.

And to other contributers to this thread i,m sure we could have answered this question in a far more proffesional way!! :realmad: ,

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Nice to see you've got the balls to come out with the name, personally I don't need to hide my idenity from the likes of you.... If you want the arguement over qualifications then go ahead, I hung up the Dr title a few years ago now but hey, tonight Matthew I'm gonna be...... Don't be sad all your life, afterall nobodys gonna give you the code :D

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Guest stevendt

Black Night,

at last - a civil reply, just when I was in despair. Thank you.

Actually, the main reason for my frustration was that the company quoted £50+vat for the "service" visit to reset the system. Not cheap for 1 minutes work but it is what I agreed to pay.

However, when the invoice arrived it was for £150+vat (176.25), as I said, I'd rather rip the whole thing out than go back to them for anything else.

One more question then, does the system have a master reset such that another "engineer" could remove the current companies engineer code and reprogram the system ? i.e., I don't need to get the current "service" provider to unlock it first ?

OK, one more still.... As it was a monitored alarm, are other monitoring services prepared to take on monitoring of other vendors alarms or would I need to install a new system ?

Dave

And to other contributers to this thread i,m sure we could have answered this question in a far more proffesional way!!
Quoted For Agreement...

C'mon guys, no need for any of this..?

Due to recent Discussions with certain Alarm manufacturers I am beginning to change my views as to whether I should supply Installation Manuals to users who request them.

My view until recently was that If they owned the Alarm System, then they were entitled to the manuals belonging to it, and to an extent i still believe this to be an owners right.

But......there are valid reasons why the Alarm Owners should not have access to them:

1: The supply of engineering information to end users can be seen to compromise the integrity of the system - especially in the eyes of the installation company who is under contract to maintain the system. Whilst this is especially true where remote signalling in use, the principle is true for all maintained systems - and can actually affect the relationship between us installers, the users and the manufacturers.

2: Manufacturers will not provide any kind of support for an end user contacting them. If they have a maintenance contract, they should be dealing with the installation company, not the manufacturer. Even if they do not have any contact with the alarm installer, the equipment is designed specifically for professional intallation engineers, so there could be serious health & safety implications for anyone giving any advice to unqualified persons that includes removing equipment covers or getting on a ladder (ie most advice!) - whether this is done by 'phone or in writing (ie manuals).

So Here`s the Question guys, and this is aimed at all installers who read the forums as well as Alarm Owners.

Shall we as a forum, provide Engineer manuals to the Alarm User....?

Please Vote and Also leave any comments. Stating wether your an installer oe Alarm user.

Were not being awkward, just don't wanna get sued :no:

The late great manuals debate.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Black Night,

at last - a civil reply, just when I was in despair. Thank you.

Actually, the main reason for my frustration was that the company quoted £50+vat for the "service" visit to reset the system. Not cheap for 1 minutes work but it is what I agreed to pay.

However, when the invoice arrived it was for £150+vat (176.25), as I said, I'd rather rip the whole thing out than go back to them for anything else.

One more question then, does the system have a master reset such that another "engineer" could remove the current companies engineer code and reprogram the system ? i.e., I don't need to get the current "service" provider to unlock it first ?

OK, one more still.... As it was a monitored alarm, are other monitoring services prepared to take on monitoring of other vendors alarms or would I need to install a new system ?

Dave

62396[/snapback]

If you have a written quote for £50 then that what you pay.

Alternitively ask them for a price breakdown of the call. I presume you have a copy of the engineers docket detailing time on site, time off site and work done. when you get the details from the company compare that with the original. Its possible a mistake has being made. Ring the alarm company and ask to speak to the service manager, explain your grievance - any good manager will make sure you are treated fairly.

the panel in question i don,t believe has an lock facility but i could be wrong. Usually a default by an engineer will put it back to basic and he can reprogram it.

if it is a monitored sytem then usually the digital communicator will belong to the aoriginal company, they will remove it and your new supplier will fit theirs and signal it to their central station. However be aware that a signalling system will go onto engineer reset and the new rules for signalling sytems may mean you have to have extra works done if you start afresh with a new company.

You could consider removing the signalling altogether and just use a autodialler that will ring your keyholders or your mobile.

This would save you the cost of paying a company to monitor your system but check with your insurance company first in case they need it monitored by a central station

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Archived