Security Installer Community

Fax no longer works

sparky83

Just working at a commercial premises at the moment. We have connected Redcare GSM to a line which uses broadband and is connected to the fax. Going to have a word with the redcare helpdesk in the morning but plugged in a modem compatible device in before the broadband filter, the light seems to be working ok on the mcd and cuts everything off when the redcare sends a signal out. Redcare works fine just the fax is only programmed to send only and to recieve it comes through their pc into a modem of some sort and gets .pdf 'd onto their screen. Everytime I connect the stu up to the line the fax will ring if a fax is sent to the number but comes up with 'error to recieve fax' or something along those lines on the pc screen.

I dont know if anyones got any solutions for this apart from moving redcare to another one of their lines but if not bare this in mind when your setting up new installs or your get caught out like we have. Could get the computer company to put a in a new modem that doesnt conflict but I suppose you could say its not our problem but I doubt the customer will see it like this! I've checked that all these devices are definatetly fed from just the one socket and that they ALL go through the mcd. Oh and BT put in a block for us so its unlikely to be a wiring fault. At the moment I just got it working on GSM which is not ideal!

Trade Member

Guest Peter James

Your not supposed to connect Redcare to a fax line it can confict with the chirps.

And have you used a bb filter?

Pete

Your not supposed to connect Redcare to a fax line it can confict with the chirps.

And have you used a bb filter?

Pete

56031[/snapback]

You can if a MCD fitted (Redcare helpdesk)

Line to redcare then to ADSL filter then mcd then fax, got a few sites like this, but had two faulty GSM s in the last two weeks.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Mark,

As I explained to you yesterday the problem is the fax and anything over 300 baud isn't reliable and falls over and dies.

The bt recdare website mentions this problem specifically.

I'll post the link again for others: Here.

scroll down to data applications.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Thats why with a Premier Com2400 there is the option to connect at 300 baud.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

You dont need to connect at 300 baud when using a com2400 on a redcare line, most of our jobs have redcare and com2400 on the same line and work without a problem.

56131[/snapback]

Most do, but if the line is poor or reverse wired problems do occur.

Mark could try asking BT to increse the line gain and see if that helps :unsure:

In my experiances the problem has manifested itself more on incoming calls like fax.

BT do not recommend the connection of data equipment to redcare lines as can be read in the PDF I linked to above.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Archived