Security Installer Community

Yee-haa its the Sky installer

Monteey

I witnessed an act of all too common bodgery on Saturday as i watched a Sky 'installer' put in a dish etc for a house opposite me.

Fair enough least he was using a level to get the bracket level, but thats where the neatness ended.

The cable job was probably the funniest thing to see, none of this messing about going through roof space to get to other side of house, it was cowboy style throw it OVER the roof.

Yes i know im going to be told they arent allowed to go in lofts but that really does annoy me just chucking the cable over the roof it is bodgy beyond belief.

The final bit that ok may not be as bad, but winds me up, is securing the cable to the dish with one piece insulation tape instead of cable ties.

He certainly earned his money that day, he was in and out in half an hour.

What i want to know is do Sky employ any competant installers or are they all complete monkeys.

Just glad i did all my Sky cabling/dish, myself, its a damn site better effort than his despite taking slightly longer than half an hour :)

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

How many of you had a call out when the sky installer has cut an alarm cable thinking it was phone?

Or stapled through an alarm cable whilst running the phone line?

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I do a bit with TV aerials etc... and see some quite good bodges. A lot of the Sky installers are just subbies and they have constraints\get out clauses\contracts and all that stuff like BT have. Some of them do a nice tidy job on their own installs and rough the Sky jobs in, some just haven't got a professional bone in their body. They only get a certain amount of time and materials to do a job so some stick to that and just lash it in.

When we first had Sky installed, I was out and the installer nailed a few clips through the flat roof then just sort of slung the cable across the fascia and down the wall then just brought it in in the middle of the living room wall and clipped it across the skirting.

Have none of you lads chucked an 8 core over the roof to connect a second bellbox.  :whistle:  :P

55272[/snapback]

Thought the nationals used "bell-wire" :whistle:

Guest Peter James

They apparently get £60 per install, the chap I was talking to reckons he does 2 jobs a day and thats it! Doesnt seem a bad life if you have no ambition I suppose £600 a week for a couple of hrs a day.

Pete

Thought the nationals used "bell-wire"  :whistle:

55273[/snapback]

*bellman staggers about with knife in his back*

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Archived