Security Installer Community

Yee-haa its the Sky installer

Monteey

that really does annoy me just chucking the cable over the roof it is bodgy beyond belief.

PSML. This brought back memories years ago when I brought my first flat (1st FL of a 3 story block)& I needed a TV Aerial installing.

Phoned up slasher & basher Aerial's & this guy knocking on 60 turns up & decides that it's too high for his ladders, so goes up onto the roof via the communal loft to have a look. He fixes the Aerial to a chimney and decides that he'll drop the whole cable drum from the roof to the back yard & pull up what he needs from the drum whilst hanging out the window.

I'm making the tea & see the drum go by out of the kitchen window, then hear the glass breaking on the french doors of the gnd fl flat below me, as the cable snagged on the gutter & swung the drum into the doors.

Neigbour not in, he was actually going to bugger off all together. The boss of the firm had to pay for the repairs to the doors & let me have the install for free if I did'nt say too much. :whistle:

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

LOL @ Chris, seen the short ladder syndrome* in action before but never quite like that!

*Rather than put a short mast at the apex, put a really, really long mast 6' of the ground so the aerial peers out above the apex.

post-2915-1117485215_thumb.jpg

Courtesy of Bill Wrights rather excellent rogues gallery.

The guy that fitted mine got a flat rate of £35.00. I made him work for it though - no bodge job :no:

Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Guest IM_Alarms

I was in a cafe one day when a group of young (!) Modern Alarm guys came in (yes it was a long time ago) They sat down behind me and reeled off tale after tale of their best bodges, the two I remember most were, one guy did what Adi said and threw the drum over a warehouse roof to get to the second sounder. The other was, a guy had run a full drum out for a detector and clipped it all the way back to the panel where it had already been connected in. unfortunately he had run it through a door opening instead of drilling the frame ................... out comes the saw and a square is cut out of the door at the right height! Problem solved :whistle:

Jesus I cant believe some people LOL - perhaps there should be a rogue traders section on this site NOW lol, as long as Im not in it :)

unfortunately he had run it through a door opening instead of drilling the frame ................... out comes the saw and a square is cut out of the door at the right height! Problem solved :whistle:

55308[/snapback]

Seen that a fair few times, for all sorts of things - pipes, electrics, alarms.....

Hahaha that Wrights rogues gallery is hilarious seeing the stuff people do, we definately need one for here. :rolleyes:

55311[/snapback]

Going through the Rogues Gallery - and what do I see? The top right-hand corner of one of our old CQR Bell-boxes! (The photo was NOT of thebell-box I hasten to add)

Hope this works ok? 1st time I've tried to attach a piccie, taken with a phone camera, so quality ****, but this is a recent job done by a competitor firm with cameras on top of a 2inch square galvanised tube, so low that someones put hazzard tape around the bottom of the post(s). There's about 6 of them around the building & the kids keep on using them to get onto the roof. :no:

Massive row going on about it I'm told. It's done us no end of good though :yes:

post-1838-1117486762_thumb.jpg

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Archived