Security Installer Community

Baluns and CAT5

We always use Cat5 and baluns if we have to but we were told that if its a short run using Cat5, then you may be able to get rid of the baluns altogether - is that true and does it work?! Never tried it without just wondering if you guys have?

Trade Member

We always use Cat5 and baluns if we have to but we were told that if its a short run using Cat5, then you may be able to get rid of the baluns altogether - is that true and does it work?! Never tried it without just wondering if you guys have?

Sure of course it will work, i sometimes use belden on coverts to hide the cable so to speak but only for 20/30 mtrs max.

Ive had a decent picture on a doubled up alarm cable!!

Check to make sure you are using a twisted pair for each camera, if you have a crossed pair you will get crosstalk.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I have had the same kind of problem. Solution is to use single baluns as suggested, or otheriwse if possible run 1 camera down 1 cat 5. this usally solves the problem.I think it depends on the kit being used. Some installations are ok with the multiple camera setup, without getting too tech on the subject I'd suggest them as your options.

Funny how on twisted pair installtions with domes I never have this problem..... quality of kit???

Good luck....

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

I have had the same kind of problem. Solution is to use single baluns as suggested, or otheriwse if possible run 1 camera down 1 cat 5. this usally solves the problem.I think it depends on the kit being used. Some installations are ok with the multiple camera setup, without getting too tech on the subject I'd suggest them as your options.

Funny how on twisted pair installtions with domes I never have this problem..... quality of kit???

Good luck....

43419[/snapback]

Quality of baluns maybe, certainly not quality of CCTV kit.

:) That is a symtom of having a pair crossed over. Each signal must go down an individual twisted pair. Instructions attached.

Hi all. :)

I have a problem with a 4 camera in to 1 cat 5 transmit receive unit. If you connect one camera - picture fine connect 2 cameras picture goes like it has interference. Does not matter which is plugged in either works fine on its own but not with 2 together. Only using 2 cameras and does not make any difference which of the four ports are used. Type is TTP414V which has 4 x BNC on front and 1 x CAT5 socket on the back or the the option to hard wire the CAT5 cable instead

Any thoughts from anyone ?? :(

John

43138[/snapback]

xcon817.pdf

System Q Ltd.

send an email to eback@systemq.com and put BALUN INSTRUCTIONS in the subject line and our automated response service will email you the instructions for this device.

:) That is a symtom of having a pair crossed over. Each signal must go down an individual twisted pair. Instructions attached.

43488[/snapback]

System Q Ltd.

• 1 month later...

Strangely like Mavric we have also had some of the best results with Cat5 & baluns when using 3 x speed domes down 1 x Cat5 with the telemetry.

We have one large transport yard with 9 speed domes working down 3 x Cat5 up to 300 metres & all working perfectly.

No idea why?

Strangely like Mavric we have also had some of the best results with Cat5 & baluns when using 3 x speed domes down 1 x Cat5 with the telemetry.

We have one large transport yard with 9 speed domes working down 3 x Cat5 up to 300 metres & all working perfectly.

No idea why?

48462[/snapback]

Twisted pair and video baluns is not new technology, its just been perfectedover the last 5 years or so. I can recall a shopping centre in Washington that used it like 10 year ago but they changed to microwaves eventually as it wasnt so good then.

BTW 300 mtrs for cat5 and baluns is just a short run.

Archived