Security Installer Community

Baluns and CAT5

Hi all. :)

I have a problem with a 4 camera in to 1 cat 5 transmit receive unit. If you connect one camera - picture fine connect 2 cameras picture goes like it has interference. Does not matter which is plugged in either works fine on its own but not with 2 together. Only using 2 cameras and does not make any difference which of the four ports are used. Type is TTP414V which has 4 x BNC on front and 1 x CAT5 socket on the back or the the option to hard wire the CAT5 cable instead

Any thoughts from anyone ?? :(

John

Is there any way to adjust balance and gain?

The signals could be too strong, What distances are your cables?

pairs and pins should be 1,2 3,6 4,5 7,8 I believe.

Do you have the manual for it?

I assume your using unshielded cat 5, shielded will cause problems.

Have you got your +ve and -ve right at each end on both cables, i doubt you have this wrong as you would have no picture with just one connected.

It certainly sounds like a connection problem to me though.

Time to get the tset meter out i think, prove your cables then if the cable length is within tolerance you must have faulty baluns.

Checkout NVT's web site they have a great learning section there which may help.

shielded will cause problems

Can you explain that one to me please, Ian?

Me Too, I would have thought shielded was the better option....?

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Can you explain that one to me please, Ian?

43160[/snapback]

NO!

Oh ok then......

Its high-frequency roll-off will severely degrade the distance performance. Use of an amplified receiver can compensate for some signal loss. Multi-pair wire (six pairs or more) can have an overall shield without degradation.

Actually i ripped that from NVT;s webby as i couldnt tell you the exact reason why, i just knew (from experience) that you shouldnt. :whistle:

Again a quick look at the NVT Learning Pages will reveal all you want to know about video baluns.

Just looking at the spec of the TTP414V, it's a passive device, used in pairs (one each end).

Maybe the cable you're using is damaged and the conductors are touching somewhere? Or maybe there's an internal short inside one of the units?

Have you tried a simple setup with just a short bit of cable between the 2 devices?

NO!

Oh ok then......

Its high-frequency roll-off will severely degrade the distance performance. Use of an amplified receiver can compensate for some signal loss. Multi-pair wire (six pairs or more) can have an overall shield without degradation.

Actually i ripped that from NVT;s webby as i couldnt tell you the exact reason why, i just knew (from experience) that you shouldnt. :whistle:

Again a quick look at the NVT Learning Pages will reveal all you want to know about video baluns.

43163[/snapback]

Still none the wiser, but thanks for the info!

:yes:

If you don't know......ask.

Archived