Security Installer Community

CCTV onto seperate networks

Guest IM_Alarms

Guest IM_Alarms

I have a system to quote for which requires five cameras (3 external, 2 internal) into a DVR and onto four sperate networks within the same building. As CCTV is my area of least expertese, could someone explain how it is done (simply) as i'm struggling to see how to do it without the system being internet driven. The building is a multi-tenanted office block with four seperate tenants, each having their own network. Each tenant requires the veiwing at any P.C. of five cameras around the building. The DVR has network capability, would this supply more than one network? without any cross network security issues?

Thanks for your time guys. :wacko:

I think your going to have to supply a hub for your dvr then the tennants can access the dvr through your hub from there computers this may mean running a cat 5, 4 pair data cable from your hub to each of your tennants unless you send the data wirelessly.

I think this is the way to go but I am sure someone will have a better idea.

If this is the way to go you will need to know if more than one tennant can access the dvr at the same time if not state it in your quote.

Cover ones ass!!!

Let us know how you get on.....

Garry.

You can lead a horse to water but you carnt climb a ladder with a bell in both hands.

Guest IM_Alarms
cheers Gary, thanks for replying so soon, am i right in thinking that the cctv becomes accessible to all, without any network being able to access any other?

cheers Gary, thanks for replying so soon, am i right in thinking that the cctv becomes accessible to all, without any network being able to access any other?

37394[/snapback]

Yes the dvr will have its own i.p address or you can set one up so all they do is put in the i.p for the dvr and give them the veiwing software they will be able to access the dvr but thats it they wont be able to access each others computer.

Again I may be corrected but we all live and learn :)

Garry.

You can lead a horse to water but you carnt climb a ladder with a bell in both hands.

It depends on what the subnets are on the networks rather than IP addresses. Depending on how secure they want it depends on how it's set up but you really need to be able to define a seperate subnet for each network that is currently there that is unaccessible from each other then add the DVR in as a seperate machine connected to all four networks via a seperate hub and cat5 link with a less securely set up subnet.

The above way requires a fair bit of work and altering of tenants machines, which could quite easily become unstuck if someone starts altering things or changing machines.

The way to do it (easily) to ensure no one can access other networks is to fit a router between each network and the DVR with the DVR on the WAN side. This would allow outgoing access from each network to the DVR but the router would block incoming requests from other networks.

Chances are that each tenant will require a firewall too, and will want to control it. You're heading towards some serious IT security issues and messy configuration here........................ :!:

Effectively your security network will have to appear as if it's on the Internet, and be secured appropriately, even if it's only accessible over multiple private links.

Why not connect the DVR directly to a broadband connection and then load up the remote software in the tennants PC's? Then they can just get on the net and connect straight into the DVR easily.

Or just take the video output to the flats TV aerial distribution unit via a modulator and put it on thier TV's? They will not have control over the cameras, but set the DVR on multiscreen display and you save yourself a lot of networking hassle and tennants complaining that thier PC 'has never been the same since'.

The above option using TV distribution is the easiest to be honest.

The bridging of the x4 network is a IT minefield and really should not be undertaken unless you are willing to spend some serious cash on managed network switches (setting up of VLANs and Gateways) and want to be responsible for the managment of IP addressing scheme for the whole network.

This doesn't take into consideration whether any have the tenants have a broadband connection and cross-connection with out the above would just lead to more problems.

Only problem I can see with the tenants accessing the DVR remotely would be that someone would have to host it (unless on seperate connection but can't see this as an option due to cost of line and ISP) and have bandwidth significantly reduced.

Technical Manager

NSI/LPC Approved Alarm Receiving Centre

South Manchester

The bridging of the x4 network is a IT minefield and really should not be undertaken unless you are willing to spend some serious cash on managed network switches (setting up of VLANs and Gateways) and want to be responsible for the managment of IP addressing scheme for the whole network.

37432[/snapback]

Eh? 4 routers and away you go. No need for VLANs, totally OTT for this application.

(Router\firewall, same difference for this application. If they're set up correctly a decent router with NAT would suffice).

Archived