Security Installer Community

CCTV onto seperate networks

Guest IM_Alarms

2 things Keke;

1) I think you've misunderstood somewhere. The objective is to restrict access between the four networks, not between the DVR and the network in general.

2) Where do you buy your firewalls from? 1K is way over the top for this application.

38012[/snapback]

1) YES, EXACTLY! The objective is to restrict access between the four networks, not between the DVR and the network in general.

I understood that those 4 networks ARE separated from each others already. So we allow traffic from those networks to DVR, but not from anywhere else. Thats why the firewall is needed. With switch (which _MIGHT_ be needed ) we connect all 5 networks together and to Router (Gateway to internet).

2) I buy them from hardware store. Of course you can by a cheap DIY firewall if you want to..

I buy them from hardware store. Of course you can by a cheap DIY firewall if you want to..

Hmm cant say ive seen a hardware store selling firewalls, screws, nuts and bolts maybe :whistle:

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Hmm cant say ive seen a hardware store selling firewalls, screws, nuts and bolts maybe  :whistle:

38190[/snapback]

hmm.. maybe it has something to do with fact that you don't need fireplaces there..?

Always a smartarse :w00t:

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

1) YES, EXACTLY! The objective is to restrict access between the four networks, not between the DVR and the network in general.

I understood that those 4 networks ARE separated from each others already. So we allow traffic from those networks to DVR, but not from anywhere else. Thats why the firewall is needed. With switch (which _MIGHT_ be needed ) we connect all 5 networks together and to Router (Gateway to internet).

38185[/snapback]

So, these 4 seperate networks are now connected into one switch, so now they're not seperate anymore. Well done.

We're obviously losing something in the translation here, I think I might have to just say let's leave it.

2) I buy them from hardware store.

38185[/snapback]

Hmmm........

So, these 4 seperate networks are now connected into one switch, so now they're not seperate anymore. Well done.

We're obviously losing something in the translation here, I think I might have to just say let's leave it.

Hmmm........

38227[/snapback]

well - errrrrrrrr... :blink:

for some reason i understood that they have common internet service provider...

in that case they would have firewalled their networks anyway.

if they have their own ISP:s "only" way to make it is internet driven. in this case i would try to borrow some tenants internet connection, put the switch between their router and their firewall and then connect your firewall to the switch and DVR behind it. Of course they have to have spare IP:s to lend..

Guest IM_Alarms

I don't think they are interested in an internet solution as the site is a multi-tenant site, some of which are short lease and could possibly not have internet access.

But keep up the good work you lot, i'm learning a lot so far! :yes:

I don't think they are interested in an internet solution as the site is a multi-tenant site, some of which are short lease and could possibly not have internet access.

But keep up the good work you lot, i'm learning a lot so far! :yes:

38259[/snapback]

err-

there is some kind of infrastructure, right? if we could have some kind of skitch of that we could do so much better.. maybe thou in trade section..?

this is easy as i told you. it is just routing and firewalling.

if some tenants do not have internet access they rarely use any other network either.. or more propably do not even know what network is.

i would bet everyone HAS internet access. if not their own then a common one.

Archived