Security Installer Community

[Split - Hiya, just saw this site...] The Perfect Panel?

Barsnake

Four oranges in a week is record breaking for me.

It was either Tuesday or Wednesday I had a white tea in the office before 9:00am  & then a another white tea back in the office 4:00pm ish

I went with one of my guys & put a data cabinet in a house with some engenius access points on the ceiling, for £150 each they are a pile of shite but appear to work well

the builder got a hot drink made by the 20 something ginger daughter.

My guy had pack up, I went to the manky chippy at 18:30ish, ate it at home with tins of carlsberg, then a shower,

2 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

Pastels 

How many fruit pastels does it take to choke a kestrel ?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

7 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

You haven't been to many systems post-burglary then. Your clearly missing the point...

Again, from experience fitting kit with 45 degree terminals in awkward spaces, try it. In some places I'd prefer normal decent quality sprung terminals for some things.

I've been to loads of post burglary jobs in the last 30 odd years and regardless of the polycarb box theyre easily smashed off the wall with whatever tools they used to break in, some were then for some unfathomable reason put in the sink with the taps turned on

Others they just opened the lid and cut the SW- for the bell, which is generally just 2 screws

So as theyre already easy to smash or pull off the wall by Neanderthals and are even easier for someone with a bit of knowledge to silence without even needing to damage them at all having a few extra 4mm holes that match up to existing panels really isnt a big deal at all. It would make replacing a faulty panel or upgrading an old one MUCH easier if it had pre matched holes for common makes like the veritas R8 for example, would save time and have literally no real downside as I doubt even a couple of extra 4mm holes in panels that already have wiring access holes that are several inches square is a big deal, and to quell the doom and gloom brigade that think they might just fall off the wall if looked at then the plastic not used by adding the holes could be relocated to make reinforced shoulders around each hole when the injection moulding pattern is made 

By the time somebody has gained access to the panel it doesnt really make any difference if it has more holes less holes or is polycarb or plastic, it WILL take practically the same amount of time to smash it off the wall or undo the cover screws regardless

9 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Galaxy

Telecom

Hkc

You can drill cut holes whatever you want I don't see the big deal and all have seperate terminals for power 

Why you want to stick with pyronix then ?

Well you "can" but trying to get them to perfectly match the existing holes from the previous panel wouldnt exactly be ideal especially if any were for example where the transformer is, but as it would be literally no effort at all for a manufacturer to do this when they design the injection moulding template if they thought of it that would just solve the problem right out of the gate with not only zero effort for the installer, but removing the need to drill anything either in the panel or the wall to replace other popular panels which was my point

As for the sticking with pyronix, to be honest I hadn't installed pyronix since the paragon range, but then the app enabled alarms came out and at first the Texecom offering only had an app for Apple, whilst Pyronix did android and IOS, so I figured I would give it a punt

Then I got what felt like a ridiculous amount of "urgent security firmware update" bulletins from Texecom, which requires an unpaid site visit which dissuaded me from considering a move back to Texecom when they did finally bring out android compatibility and I hadn't had any problems or shortcomings with the Pyronix stuff so I just couldnt see any reason to change at that point, it would have been "nice" to have carried on from the Veritas over to the Premier range from Texecom, but them not having an android compatible app out of the gate was the deal breaker as I wanted to move to app based systems right then, not "maybe" in a year or so

So now around 6 years later with just under 200 app enabled panels in the field and none having failed yet I'll probably just stick with them until I retire or fall off a ladder onto a spiked fence lol

And I have to be honest, the residuals from the subscription side of things is a nice extra bit of pocket money too

8 hours ago, james.wilson said:

A panel that can be mounted any way up. 

Rs the domestic market. No proper manufacturer is that interested because that market wants to pay 20 quid for a panel. Where focus should shift imo is home automation and desirable looking keypads

Why mqtt isn't standard I'll never kbow

I like that idea, I have worked on jobs where people have flipped panels 90 degrees anyway, and its felt like an outtake from an Indiana Jones movie as the battery falls out when you take the lid off lol

With some just a small plastic tab on the bottom, side and front would give some ability to do this without much of an issue, and with a panel like a Veritas R8 where its just plain and is (usually) hidden away even a bit more depth wouldnt be that much of a problem

And to be fair, it probably wouldnt cost much to just include a plastic bracket that hooks into the case at one end, goes over the battery with one screw hole at the other end to keep it in place regardless of orientation

As for the price, I wouldnt say its quite that bad lol, I've been fitting Euro46s panels for most of my domestic jobs for the last 5-6 years, my criticism is that its a grade 2 panel in a metal box with an overpriced keypad and no onboard networking, so that adds another 60-70 making it almost £200 just for the panel

I will wager they could easily make a polycarb base unit with onboard wifi and 8 wired zones aimed at the residential market for barely any more than a Veritas R8 costs and still make a reasonable profit

If they didnt ship it with a keypad but offered a basic keypad with no zones, tag reader or output for around £30 and one that is the same as the existing one for around £40 that would still be a much better deal for home alarms rather than the business sector

Similarly, I am sure texecom could just add wifi and app compatibility to the R8+ for no more than £20, that would be another good possibility

22 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

cp-20 is about the most cost effect 10 + 10 wirles thing I can think of ?

See this tat -

IMG_20230120_164420217.jpg

280 in house on digi (was a ts690) now go to verisure ?

I have to be honest I wouldnt mind trying one of the Orico is it? Panels

The only thing that put me off was the fact that its a direct selling model rather than being able to just pop into the nearest wholesaler to get one

I've spoken to several of their staff on the tech support and design side in depth and I really like their ethos and drive

The touchscreen keypads and WIFI/IP/GSM all on one board was also a really neat idea

And yeah, that guy needs to go back to wherever he paid to take his basket weaving course and demand a refund ?

Edited by Ubermik
Afterthought