Security Installer Community

Can I install a new battery without knowing the engineer code?

I moved house and it has an old "ADE Optima Compact" burglar alarm (Not the newer revised versions "G3"/"G4", I assume the one I have is the original). I am unable to find anybody online with the exact same model.

If there is a powercut, the alarm is completely deactivated. However, once the power returns the alarm sounds. If I enter my user code, it disables the alarm and goes back to normal.

As I understand it, this means that the battery is dead.

I don't know much about burglar alarms, but from what I saw online about similar models, it should be as simple as unplugging one battery and replacing it with another. My only concern comes from the fact that every tutorial I see first starts with the person entering the engineer code to set the unit into engineering mode. As I understand it, this means that tamper detection gets disabled and also allows one to change the setup of the system.

The problem I am facing is that I do not know this engineer code - I have no information about who installed the system ~30 years ago and they have likely gone out of business since anyway. Therefore, I assume that the moment I open up the case the alarm will sound and I will not be able to disable it (Even if I turn off the mains power first I assume the moment I connect the battery the alarm will sound).

I see in the manual that there is a default code of ####. However I am concerned that entering this incorrectly will also cause the alarm to sound if it was changed away from the default.

All I simply want to do is avoid the alarm going off endlessly in the case where there is a power cut and therefore be disturbing my neighbours until I return home.

How should I proceed here?

Edited by sixwheeledbeast
No codes or manuals in posts please.

If the alarm system is completely powered down when you have no power then both the usually external siren (SAB) and internal standby battery are faulty and need replacing.

Replacing the external siren usually requires access, replacing the internal battery requires a multimeter to check the system is not faulty and charging your new battery.

Anything less than this your not necessary going to have a working system.

If you don't want it disturbing the neighbours do them a favour and just power it down until it's fixed properly.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't actually care about having a working system. I just don't want the siren erroneously sounding endlessly at any point.

I wish I could power it down completely as you say, but the alarm system is on the same circuit as my lighting so switching it off at my consumer unit would mean also foregoing lighting in my house ? I also guess that having lights on the bell outside is also a minor deterrent.

Is there any risk in attempting to press PROG and #### to see whether the default code was left set? What would happen if I did this and the code was wrong? Would the alarm trigger and I'd have no way of disabling it?

Edited by sixwheeledbeast

6 minutes ago, DiyAlarmTinkerer said:

Like one of these things? https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-unswitched-fused-spur-white/58938

As far as I can tell, there is not one of these (As a side note, wouldn't every burglar just take out the fuse as soon as they entered a property if these were beside the panel?)

if you had a working battery / sab removing the power would make no difference

a fused spur is a requirement

• Upvote 1

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe I'm being stupid, but I can't see anything that looks like a fused spur anywhere near the panel or anywhere between the consumer unit and the panel.

I took a video, maybe you can see something that I'm missing? (There is nothing behind the mirror)

Edited by DiyAlarmTinkerer