Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9800 Buzzer Sounding - no Fault Codes

Netrix

Hi All,

I have a 9800 system where, I think, the backup battery died. This was about 10 months ago and came to light after a 5 hour power cut to the house, during which the system reset to default codes. 

The system has been sitting since then unused, with code (I think) rr flashing away as well as mention of (again, I think) Zones 5 and 6 not being set [the system is two PIRs, one door switch, one keypad and the  control box)

Fast forward to last night - another 4 hour power cut - after about an hour the internal buzzer on the keypad started buzzing and could not be silenced. The power is now restored, there are no codes on the keypad but the buzzer is continually sounding. Entering the user code or installer code does nothing.

I have an internal siren (lid off) that is switched from siren to keypad - not sure if that is an issue or not but that is how it was before the last power cut.

Its 04:15 at present so loathe to pop the lid off the bx to enter engineering mode as I assume the external siren will sound during that process.

I will, having learned my lesson, get a tech in to change the back up battery and reset the system (zones and codes) but wondered if I can stop this buzzer myself - the dog is going mental !!

Thanks in advance

Netrix

You may be better getting an engineer to come and decommission it if your not using it, otherwise it will just be another nuisance everytime you get a powercut.

It all depends on if you think you might be burgled or not, as to wether you replace it 

Thanks for the replies peeps - emergency call-out to stop the noise would have been £195 plus the vat or £55 plus vat if I take out a yearly maintenance plan with them for £120 plus vat. This company used to service the system for the previous owners so I opted for that route. They turned up and couldn't enter engineering mode (I was at work - the wife was in) so all they could do was power down the system to give us some peace.

I'm not 100% happy with their diagnosis as they said that both the keypad and the control box had gone. I agree with their diagnosis that there was probably a surge when the power came back on (it may well have come on/off on/off) as it usually does when we have power cuts - so probably fried something in the control box, but the upshot is I am awaiting a quote for a replacement control box and jeypad.

Any ball-park figures would be appreciated - I know you dont know which system they will quote for - but how much would the replacement kit be for a system with 2 x PIRs, one door contact, one external bell and an internal siren ??

Cheers in advance

Netrix

They already sound cheap to me, I would say replacement control panel would be between £500-£700 depending on expanders ect.

I too disagree with their diagnosis the keypads are probably fine, its most likely just the panel thats gone. You wont find a 1990's panel in the wholesalers and the keypads wont work with the new panel so they have to be changed anyway. They are probably right regards the panel though. unserviced equals a knackered battery which will draw more current from the panel and weakens components over time, spikes in the mains when the power comes back on is also likely to cause damage on an old and weakened panel.    

The panel is faulty either way if the memory has been lost, the keypad is part of the system and are compatible with each other, you're not finding a panel that will work with that 30 year old keypad.

They are pretty resilient panels to surges and short circuits to be fair, but it's done it's time. Could diagnose the same from what you have said in OP.

Things that I wouldn't be able to tell you is if the keypad is worn on some of the digits, this may have stopped them accessing the panel for example.

Maybe their engineers were not even born when the panel was manufactured and not seen one to work on... Either way keypad is of no use so may as well be dead.

Prices will vary a lot based on location, installer, approval, kit quality etc etc.

39 minutes ago, Netrix said:

Thanks for the replies peeps - emergency call-out to stop the noise would have been £195 plus the vat or £55 plus vat if I take out a yearly maintenance plan with them for £120 plus vat. This company used to service the system for the previous owners so I opted for that route. They turned up and couldn't enter engineering mode (I was at work - the wife was in) so all they could do was power down the system to give us some peace.

I'm not 100% happy with their diagnosis as they said that both the keypad and the control box had gone. I agree with their diagnosis that there was probably a surge when the power came back on (it may well have come on/off on/off) as it usually does when we have power cuts - so probably fried something in the control box, but the upshot is I am awaiting a quote for a replacement control box and jeypad.

Any ball-park figures would be appreciated - I know you dont know which system they will quote for - but how much would the replacement kit be for a system with 2 x PIRs, one door contact, one external bell and an internal siren ??

Cheers in advance

Netrix

Dude 

Probably, failing , needs servicing

Forget all that , this panel is known to lose its memory and lose the plot so it has failed and is faulty 

As Pete said it's the panel not really the keypad 

If your keys worked try keeping hold of the keypad it will sell on eBay for some change or more

£500 is probably the cheaper end of the market but that's still with some kind of contract 

£650 with a WiFi connection might be better to do , so pay a little more and get it over and done with

I'd be not interested in touching a 9800, £80+vat to power it down, you'd have got the same answer 15yrs ago

old tat out & new tat in a single visit, cabled measured  before doing

small euro + lcd

power sonic the hedgehog size 7 battery

flipping big pirs

chunky contact

glow in the dark ewd

£400 + vat assuming the cables ain't short or damaged, I'm in 3rd world Northern town..

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

14 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

I'd be not interested in touching a 9800, £80+vat to power it down, you'd have got the same answer 15yrs ago

old tat out & new tat in a single visit, cabled measured  before doing

small euro + lcd

power sonic the hedgehog size 7 battery

flipping big pirs

chunky contact

glow in the dark ewd

£400 + vat assuming the cables ain't short or damaged, I'm in 3rd world Northern town..

Eee its cheep oop narth!