Security Installer Community

Electrical Interference

LMC

Hi-I hope someone can answer my question as I am experiencing heath issues due to electrical interference (headaches, earache etc). I am unsure, but have my suspicions that the constant 'hum' I can hear is due to interference from neighbours' security systems, and/or wifi and have no idea what to do. 

1)Is it possible that local security systems can affect electrics? I live in a link detached property with a neighbour to my side, one to the back, about 50ft away, and one across the road 50ft away, all with security systems. How far could their range be?

2)There are several wifis in the area, including a bt hotspot-is this an issue?

3)Is there anything I can do to combat this-there are plenty of companies selling 'dirty electricity blockers' that you plug in, but I don't know if these work or not.

I wish to add that this is something I only experience in my home and garden (no where else), but I'm the only person in my house who can sense the 'hum'. I've been examined by doctors and they can find nothing wrong with my ears or my mental health, although it's been challenged! I've lived in the same house for 15 years, and spend 90% of my time in it. My symptoms have got worse in the last 3 years.

If anyone can advise me, I'd be grateful!

My first thoughts are Tinnitus which could be triggered while being at home.

It would be good to isolate your own electrics like above to see if it's something around your home.

It's difficult to describe these sounds but the way you say "humming" makes me think of classic 50Hz transformer hum which would most likely be in your house if that's the case.

The frequencies used by access points 2.4Ghz> and alarm systems 868Mhz are everywhere. It wouldn't make sense to have the symptoms be just at your home plus any of the shelf product would be EMC compliant.

Do you even know if the neighbours security systems are wireless? If they are not then there would be no radiation from it.

These dirty electric blockers you mention are most likely a placebo, best case they are an array of MOV's or capacitors to slightly filter a nearby mains supply, fine to clean up a sine wave but very unlikely to remove an "audible noise".

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried powering down items in the home (even the wifi) and it makes no difference to the effect on me.

As for neighbours' security systems, I believe the house next door has a security system via wifi-don't think the others do. However, the guy who lived there died in May so I can't double check that.

Excuse me for being quite so ignorant, but what uses a 50Hz transformer?

Is there any point getting an expert in to measure EMF or buying a meter?

Thanks x

1 hour ago, LMC said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried powering down items in the home (even the wifi) and it makes no difference to the effect on me.

As for neighbours' security systems, I believe the house next door has a security system via wifi-don't think the others do. However, the guy who lived there died in May so I can't double check that.

Excuse me for being quite so ignorant, but what uses a 50Hz transformer?

Is there any point getting an expert in to measure EMF or buying a meter?

Thanks x

I highly doubt its a alarm system   the signals used are very weak

It could possibly be due to cellular signals 

A transformer is used in hundreds of things from your mains powered doorbell to halogen lights

I have a feeling its a cheap switch mode power supply  as I used to have one that made quite a loud whine sound 

Thanks Logan-if it's cellular signals I assume its not harmful (i.e. radiation), although if I have a cheap switch mode power supply, could that be dangerous i.e. cause a fire?

Sorry if I sound like a worry wart but because I have had health issues already because of this, I obviously don't want any more concerns for me or my family.

Any suggestions how I could stop the headaches, earache etc other than having my electrics looked at?

Ta x

2 minutes ago, LMC said:

Thanks Logan-if it's cellular signals I assume its not harmful (i.e. radiation), although if I have a cheap switch mode power supply, could that be dangerous i.e. cause a fire?

Sorry if I sound like a worry wart but because I have had health issues already because of this, I obviously don't want any more concerns for me or my family.

Any suggestions how I could stop the headaches, earache etc other than having my electrics looked at?

Ta x

It's not harmful 

As long as the switch mode PSU is not some suspicious Chinese supplier it should be fine  however they will have another less EMF shielding compared to something like a samsung or apple psu

Maybe it's my workshop to blame?

20220728_201735.jpg

I can hear the high frequency of some TV's , I can hear my fridge and my freezer, most of the time I just block it out. Ive never heard my router wifi or any wireless alarm devices. If they are installed by a proper company then they are most likely 2 way wireless which would mean they are not transmitting all the time they may pole every now and again and when the alarm they will signal when there is a burglar detected. The PSU will be switch mode rather than the old fashioned transformer so very little hum. 

4 minutes ago, Imnotshankled said:

It's not harmful 

As long as the switch mode PSU is not some suspicious Chinese supplier it should be fine  however they will have another less EMF shielding compared to something like a samsung or apple psu

20220728_201735.jpg

Tidy!

34 minutes ago, Imnotshankled said:

It's not harmful 

20220728_201735.jpg

Lol! x