Security Installer Community

Adding additional speakers...

Gus

Hi all,

Ive just got a quick query I was hoping someone might be able to advise me with. I've moved into a house with a Risco Lightsys 2 panel fitted. There is one speaker near the front door, but as my bedroom is the other end and at the back of the house when the cat set it off, one of the kids was the only person who heard it!

So I really need to add another speaker. I can run a cable from the panel to the landing near my bedroom, but wondered if someone could advise whether I can wire a second speaker to the panel, and if so should I wire it in series or parallel with the existing one, which I think is wired to Bell+/LS- terminals.

TIA.

Gus 

5 hours ago, PeterJames said:

Is the existing speaker 16ohm or 8ohm? You may be better off with a keypad rather than a speaker 

Thanks both.

The existing speaker is 16ohm, and I have another 16ohm that I want to connect. I don't have the engineer code so thought the simplest solution would be to connect the second speaker. I've got the manual but I can't see where it tells me the recommended impedance for the panel. I assume the two 16ohm in parallel would give impedance of 8ohm... would this be ok to run off this panel? Clearly I don't want to short out the panel and cause other problems!

Gus

Does the system have a maintainer? If so you would be best to speak to them modifying the system would void any warranty with them.

I don't know for this panel but the values given for an amps impedance would normally be minimums. If you have a 16ohm installed then I would aim for that.

16 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Does the system have a maintainer? If so you would be best to speak to them modifying the system would void any warranty with them.

I don't know for this panel but the values given for an amps impedance would normally be minimums. If you have a 16ohm installed then I would aim for that.

16 hours ago, james.wilson said:

As 6 I'd say 2 x 8 ohm in series

qfa