Security Installer Community

Understanding Ip CCTV

fattony

I spoke to their IT guys as I wondered about too much power being drawn from a switch but they monitor power which isnt event close to the limit - I presume the same for bandwidth but impossible to say as we can't access the cameras to check settings but its a good shout

10 minutes ago, fattony said:

I spoke to their IT guys as I wondered about too much power being drawn from a switch but they monitor power which isnt event close to the limit - I presume the same for bandwidth but impossible to say as we can't access the cameras to check settings but its a good shout

I doubt they are supplying power to each camera 

But I have seen it Poe switches not being able to work well as they nor.ally use them for phones etc 

On 20/08/2019 at 18:42, fattony said:

Sometimes I see companies install their own network for CCTV bypassing any possible IT issues, what’s the best practice here?

it seems like you need to do a course in networking and fully understand IP address, subnet and dns?

Yes a separate network would be advised if you can.

Benefit of this is you keep your kits separate from the other IT systems, minimal chance of bandwidth or other addressing issues.

Certainly knowledge of networking is mandatory for diagnosing issues like this. Basic networking skills required if your using DHCP to address which I wouldn't advise.

21 hours ago, fattony said:

So in a long winded way if I'm correct I guess I'm asking if you cant have a dedicated switch would it be wise to request a dedicated subnet so nothing IT do should effect the IP address of the cameras?

A network with VLAN's is much easier and more flexible than subnets but something like this would normally be advised for security reasons, however you prefer to do it.

1 hour ago, fattony said:

I went to this site today to have a nose at it,  25 cameras wired into 2 server rooms and were setup on their own subnet 10.9.240 but for some reason I found a camera at 192.168.0, this one had dropped off and needed a reboot, site did say that all cameras randomly drop off and have done since they were installed (not by us) after a reboot they start working which could I guess be firmware if they are  on their own subnet (no possible ip conflict etc)

Likely the camera is DHCP and has lost the network defaulting back to it's Private Class C default address.

Wouldn't expect a IP conflict to cause the camera to reset it's address, I would say the connection is lost or the camera looses power.

I would say Static IP the camera see what happens if it drops off in the future.