Security Installer Community

Understanding Ip CCTV

fattony

Hi

I half understand the IP but I know it’s way more complex than what limited info I know and I want to understand it better, is there a course I could attend?

My understanding is that the NVR is given a IP address, when a camera is plugged into it the NVR gives each camera a unique IP address, we can log into each camera via a web browser and edit the settings of the cameras.

A while ago I installed a number of cameras and each one I setup on my laptop giving it a IP address (issued by IT) subnet mask etc and plugged it into the network, everything worked fine

Sometimes I see companies install their own network for CCTV bypassing any possible IT issues, what’s the best practice here?

A couple of weeks we diagnosed a Axis IP camera as faulty, it was replaced and worked for about 24 hours then just dropped off line, our IP guy is on holiday so muggins will attend and reboot the camera hopefully getting it back on line but what would make it drop off?

it seems like you need to do a course in networking and fully understand IP address, subnet and dns?

Appreciate any help you can give

1 hour ago, fattony said:

Hi

I half understand the IP but I know it’s way more complex than what limited info I know and I want to understand it better, is there a course I could attend?

My understanding is that the NVR is given a IP address, when a camera is plugged into it the NVR gives each camera a unique IP address, we can log into each camera via a web browser and edit the settings of the cameras.

A while ago I installed a number of cameras and each one I setup on my laptop giving it a IP address (issued by IT) subnet mask etc and plugged it into the network, everything worked fine

Sometimes I see companies install their own network for CCTV bypassing any possible IT issues, what’s the best practice here?

A couple of weeks we diagnosed a Axis IP camera as faulty, it was replaced and worked for about 24 hours then just dropped off line, our IP guy is on holiday so muggins will attend and reboot the camera hopefully getting it back on line but what would make it drop off?

it seems like you need to do a course in networking and fully understand IP address, subnet and dns?

Appreciate any help you can give

Some nvrs have built in IP server , so will allocate IP for you

Some.equipment is all manually assigned 

Dual port nvrs are good , but some more complicated than others 

DNS is an issue lol

Subnets need to be common between NVR and cameras in most cases I think

Thanks, I've been doing some youtube on networking and its becoming clearer,

Say you have a dedicated router (I imagine this would apply for residential systems)

1) Plug the nvr into the router and enable dhcp to get a ip address, then disable it so that ip address becomes locked to the nvr

2) Plug the cameras into the router and same again enable dchp to get a ip address then disable it

3) With laptop connected to the same router we can connect to the camera via web browser & ip address to edit the settings of the camera

Assuming I'm right on this so far, scale this up to a commercial building where they could have different subnet settings, I imaging there would tend to be a IT company involved so you could ask to connect to the existing switch or they may prefer you fit your own switch (presume you guys have done both at some point) now with a large IT structure they may use different subnet for different equipement and may say all cctv needs to be 255.255.200.0 for example and voip phones take 255.255.195.0, ground floor IT is 255.255.210.0

Does that ever happen as it could eliminate ip conflicts as from what I understand a IP address 192.168.1.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 cant talk to a IP address 192.168.1.1 with a subnet of 255.255.1.0

So in a long winded way if I'm correct I guess I'm asking if you cant have a dedicated switch would it be wise to request a dedicated subnet so nothing IT do should effect the IP address of the cameras?

Apologies for the long post a few things clicked into place (I think after watching some youtube)

47 minutes ago, fattony said:

Thanks, I've been doing some youtube on networking and its becoming clearer,

Say you have a dedicated router (I imagine this would apply for residential systems)

1) Plug the nvr into the router and enable dhcp to get a ip address, then disable it so that ip address becomes locked to the nvr

2) Plug the cameras into the router and same again enable dchp to get a ip address then disable it

3) With laptop connected to the same router we can connect to the camera via web browser & ip address to edit the settings of the camera

Assuming I'm right on this so far, scale this up to a commercial building where they could have different subnet settings, I imaging there would tend to be a IT company involved so you could ask to connect to the existing switch or they may prefer you fit your own switch (presume you guys have done both at some point) now with a large IT structure they may use different subnet for different equipement and may say all cctv needs to be 255.255.200.0 for example and voip phones take 255.255.195.0, ground floor IT is 255.255.210.0

Does that ever happen as it could eliminate ip conflicts as from what I understand a IP address 192.168.1.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 cant talk to a IP address 192.168.1.1 with a subnet of 255.255.1.0

So in a long winded way if I'm correct I guess I'm asking if you cant have a dedicated switch would it be wise to request a dedicated subnet so nothing IT do should effect the IP address of the cameras?

Apologies for the long post a few things clicked into place (I think after watching some youtube)

More or less yes , and obviously cameras need to be on same subnet 

This kind of stuff dual nic NVR work best 

no you need to assign an address it may not keep its address if you disable dhcp. Also if you do disable it on the router then other devices wont work unless they are assigned a static ip manually

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I went to this site today to have a nose at it,  25 cameras wired into 2 server rooms and were setup on their own subnet 10.9.240 but for some reason I found a camera at 192.168.0, this one had dropped off and needed a reboot, site did say that all cameras randomly drop off and have done since they were installed (not by us) after a reboot they start working which could I guess be firmware if they are  on their own subnet (no possible ip conflict etc)

Unfortunately no one on site know the login details for the other 24 cameras so I presume its a case of reset each camera and start again updating firmware as you go, not really my issue we dont maintain it so up to them

5 minutes ago, fattony said:

I went to this site today to have a nose at it,  25 cameras wired into 2 server rooms and were setup on their own subnet 10.9.240 but for some reason I found a camera at 192.168.0, this one had dropped off and needed a reboot, site did say that all cameras randomly drop off and have done since they were installed (not by us) after a reboot they start working which could I guess be firmware if they are  on their own subnet (no possible ip conflict etc)

Unfortunately no one on site know the login details for the other 24 cameras so I presume its a case of reset each camera and start again updating firmware as you go, not really my issue we dont maintain it so up to them

I say bandwidth problem if all cameras doing it from time to time 

Is there a homehub involved anywhere lol?

I spoke to their IT guys as I wondered about too much power being drawn from a switch but they monitor power which isnt event close to the limit - I presume the same for bandwidth but impossible to say as we can't access the cameras to check settings but its a good shout

10 minutes ago, fattony said:

I spoke to their IT guys as I wondered about too much power being drawn from a switch but they monitor power which isnt event close to the limit - I presume the same for bandwidth but impossible to say as we can't access the cameras to check settings but its a good shout

I doubt they are supplying power to each camera 

But I have seen it Poe switches not being able to work well as they nor.ally use them for phones etc 

On 20/08/2019 at 18:42, fattony said:

Yes a separate network would be advised if you can.

Benefit of this is you keep your kits separate from the other IT systems, minimal chance of bandwidth or other addressing issues.

Certainly knowledge of networking is mandatory for diagnosing issues like this. Basic networking skills required if your using DHCP to address which I wouldn't advise.

21 hours ago, fattony said:

A network with VLAN's is much easier and more flexible than subnets but something like this would normally be advised for security reasons, however you prefer to do it.

1 hour ago, fattony said:

Likely the camera is DHCP and has lost the network defaulting back to it's Private Class C default address.

Wouldn't expect a IP conflict to cause the camera to reset it's address, I would say the connection is lost or the camera looses power.

I would say Static IP the camera see what happens if it drops off in the future.