Security Installer Community

Digi query?

Ok, here goes.

Can a digi modem in a panel connected on the same line as a top up card swipe machine, DAMAGE the swipe card machine at all?

I know a digi should have a dedicated line blah blah.

The panel connects fine to the line and also receives calls ok on double call (answer defeat) it uploads and downloads fine and communicates OK.

For the purpose of this experiment I decided to disconnect the alarm from the phone line COMPLETLY - and the swipe machine STILL comes up with errors EVEN with the alarm totall isolated!?!

The company running the swipe machine said everything checks ok i.e. the phone line and the machine and the customers account up to date too.

NOW, could the digi-modem have damaged the swipe machine whilst it had was connected on the same line in the past i.e. before I isolated it???

Problems on the swipe machine seemed to coincide with fitting of digi so customer said :(

BUT, as I have stated I have ISOLATED the alarm digi completly, AND the swipe machine still comes up with errors?!?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated guys :(

I know all about dedicated lines etc etc, but as I stated I have withdrawn the digi connection to phone and the swipe still fails :(:( :(

I doubt very much if the digi could directly damage the swipe machine.

However, if the swipe machine is repeatedly failing to dial out due to the digi, that could (MAYBE) cause a genuine service error to be generated or even corrupt the software to the swipe machine.

(Just a possibility, I have nothing to base this on as I've never come across that before!)

If you don't know......ask.

What panel and digi is it, and do you have the panel set up for upload/download? is panel seeing the swipemachine as an incoming call every time they try to do a transaction, what is showing on the log of the panel, do the times correspond?

Colin.

Menvier 690M - upload/download and signalling not connected to line at mo - but it was working fine.

:!: Colin - the alarm digi is disconnected now, the swipe company re-flashed the swipe machine and it still aint working - even with the alarm digi disconnected :(

they say everything checked out, what im asking is could the alrm digi have damaged it when it WAS connected in the past?

Brian - its most annoying LOL

I even demonstrated infront of the customer the alarm digi being disconnected - and we both tried the swipe machine again, no joy even after the company incharge of the machine checked the line and re-flashed the machine - they say its fine! - but it keeps coming up with "transaction failed- terminal invalid" - we told the swipe co. this and they cant find a reason for it?!?!?

I get the blame even though the alarm is no-longer in the equation :no:

could the alrm digi have damaged it when it WAS connected in the past?
I should imagine that just the digi working on the same line wouldn`t cause any problems at all.

But the upload/download software could possibly have sent confusing signals to the swipe machine, perhaps the software protocols are simillar or something. Saying that when swipe company re-flashed the swipe machine that should have corrected things.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

sounds like they're gonna have to end up getting a new swipe machine anyway. If it happens again, then I'd say it's a strong possibility that, somehow, the digi is causing the machine to malfunction.

:blink:

If you don't know......ask.

I should imagine that just the digi working on the same line wouldn`t cause any problems  at all.

But the upload/download software could possibly have sent confusing signals to the swipe machine, perhaps the software protocols are simillar or something. Saying that when swipe company re-flashed the swipe machine that should have corrected things.

29265[/snapback]

The digi is disconnected from the line now so it CAN'T be still causing the problem.

Sorry, bounce the ball back into the customers court, and let them argue it out with the swipe card machine people.

Since the digi conforms to Telecomunication approval standards it can't have damaged the terminal as it's isolated.

Have the swipe card people checked the bt line to their equipment has the correct polarity?

I'd be issuing bills for chargeable call outs by now. as you've isolated the line from the pstn line and the problem persists. that tends to shake them into action.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

yeah cheers Bellman - When the line is reconnected to the digi I have built in an isolator switch which auto disconnects any other equipment when the digi picks up the line - that is also type approved so is safe, so It will totally eliminate the alarm as the cause anyway when they get a new swipe machine and I reconnect the digi - Better safe than sorry eh?!?

We have plenty of Gardtec 800`s and 593`s sharing the same line as swipe machines and have never had any problems.

But we dont use Upload/Download software.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Archived