Security Installer Community

Access control - protected cable

Am I right in thinking no cable whatsoever can be wired outside of the internal protected area?

I have a scenario that has a corridor with multiple rooms which span off, I was hoping to locate all access controllers in one server room, this would cause an issue wiring through different rooms to each door...

Would it have to be wired so each access area is higher than the one before? OR is that irrelevant and no cable should be ran through different areas to reach the final door?

It all depends on the risk, though the other thing to consider is current drop to the locks. The whole reason that access control systems are not made as ten, twenty, and thirty door controllers is because the manufacturer expects you to install the controller in close proximity to the door. 

As Peter,  I have installations where the mag is on the 'unprotected' side of the door, because it saves on silly amounts of z brackets etc and looks the part with just the mag on the frame, nothing looks worse than chunks of ali bolted to the door.

RA suggests one can't get to the mag connections whilst the door is closed, so customer is happy on all counts.

Imo the same goes for wiring, use common sense and initiative.

Most jobs I do have mags on the corridor side as the doors open inwards same as Rulland. Not sure about protected area though. These are access control doors and not outside the protected premises as a whole. If they were perimeter doors I would see an issue.

You are correct James, but where I do position a mag on the 'wrong' side of the door for aesthetic purposes, it's an area where access has already been granted by fob or the person has been let in by a employee etc so anyone wielding a screwdriver shouldn't be there anyway, that's the theory.

• 2 weeks later...