Security Installer Community

Disabling CONCEPT alarm system

Guest spbaldock

Guest spbaldock

Our house has a CONCEPT alarm system, which I am looking to change. However, the battery in the main alarm box is past its sell by life which means when there is a power cut, the external bell sounds (as it has a separate battery).

Does anyone know how I can deactivate the external bell? If I cut the wire to the bell, the tamper alarm will set the bell off. Unfortunately, the box is located in such a high position on the side of the house, there is no access by a ladder, and I would need to get scaffolding. Is there a way to deactivate it remotely, ie so it doesnt go off?

Guest spbaldock

Yes, but I want to replace the whole system. I want to put a new bell box in a different location, but the existing one needs to be disconnecte without having the bell going to run its own battery down - it will annoy the neighbours for ages!

Guest spbaldock

I've got a triple ladder, but the angle at which it needs to be is 45 degrees as there is a sloping roof about four metres below the box. God know how they did it, but I don't fancy climbing up the ladder at this angle!

I've got a triple ladder, but the angle at which it needs to be is 45 degrees as there is a sloping roof about four metres below the box. God know how they did it, but I don't fancy climbing up the ladder at this angle!

28504[/snapback]

So you mean there is access but you don't want to do it. As RICHL said, someone put it there so you must be able to get it down. What you need is a daft friend who's fearless and has got a decent sized hammer!

Is the building underneath new?

In my opinion - and this is not advice - if you securely anchor the bottom of the ladder (upto you car wheel, whilst parked for example) the angle of the ladder should be OK. Just dont overstretch the ladder.

A bit of logic says either:

1. You want the bell box removed eventually

2. You are happy to leave it up unused and rotting

If 1 you don't want anyone to go up a very high ladder and have the bell go off.

If 2 you don't want it to go off at random due to cable or weather damage

Either way the battery needs killing ASAP. Talk to the neighbours and set it off by cutting the wires at an agreed time. As RICHL said:

Failing that you are only really left with dissing the power and letting the battery die - maybe an hour.

It is probably possible, as any qualified engineer here will know, for an engineer to disable the bell temporarily for engineering work - RICHL's third way. But that would really be so that you can remove it more safely. Leaving it in that state with a battery in it would probably still risk a random "firing".

So, just bite the bullet and let it run down.

Ive had ladders past 45 degrees before, its scary but just make sure something or someone heavy stops them from sliding.

Ive had a set of ladders slide on me.....it aint funny.....be careful.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

In my opinion - and this is not advice - if you securely anchor the bottom of the ladder (upto you car wheel, whilst parked for example) the angle of the ladder should be OK. Just dont overstretch the ladder.

Disturbing Advice Guys, I had some ladders snap in two on me not long after I started in this industry, I would never recommend this to anyone else. I was off work for 3 weeks.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Or the third way ! :ph34r:

28497[/snapback]

I used "the third way" only on Tuesday :ph34r: Disused building and I went to remove our kit, the adjacent businesses complained about the siren (it had no cut off!). :ph34r:

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Archived