Security Installer Community

Making a claim after a contractor goes bust

I picked up on a conversation today or overheard. My understanding is the law in regards to contractors going bust has changed. Our office is persuing a failed contractors insurance company for damages. Anyone else done this?

I don't have much insight into this but I'd guess that the insurance company will just point to the fact they don't exist anymore and the company that has gone bust aren't covered at the point of claim... Really could be a long road ahead and a big legal battle for someone...

The insurance company is not responsible for the contractor staying in business, if your trying to claim for non payment they will just point you in the direction of the administrator. If its a case that the contractor screwed a PTZ camera up and it fell off the wall and killed someone that may be a different matter, assuming that the contractor had fully paid their premium. We have just been told by our insurer that we have to keep our employer liability insurance documents for forty years in case an engineer makes a claim on something or other so who knows?

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 9:01 AM, norman said:

I'd be interested to hear the outcome of this but doubt it will be fruitful.

http://www.eversheds.com/global/en/what/articles/index.page?ArticleID=en/Construction_And_Engineering/Construction_Legislation_update