Security Installer Community

Wireless Install Diy Or Company?!

dojo

Looking to get an alarm. 

Had a company come out and give me a quote on a Risco Agility 3 set up with a couple of extra PRIs (4 in total) and an eyewave it cam in a touch over £1k

Reading on here and other places it seems the Risco is not a good make? Now if I could save a few quid and install a better system I'd be game. 

What wireless setups should I be looking for? I want one which phones through to a guarding company and I can operate from my (android) phone.

Thanks in advance

Just spoke to the local company - they reckon £350 extra to install the Texecom cause need to wire the bell and keypad, plus need to pay for the autodialer on top!

Was really giving it the sale in the Risco been as good as the Texecom if not better!? 

Call a couple more companies, get three quotes, a professionally installed alarm will be far better than a DIY system, it takes a good nine months to train an engineer to install a good system nicely with no mistakes. A DIY system is never going to be as good as a system installed by someone who does it everyday

I would also argue the heart of a good system is design and placement and that is rarely seen even in the most 'neatly' installed DIY.

Again it only comes with experience and learning, its the biggest downfall of DIY installations I see.

Give you an example, I went to a job last week where the sparky had disappeared, new sparks didn't want to take on the alarm so

called me in.

The sparky had put the keypad at the absolute furthest point from the main door, so every single detector would have to have been

on access, plus no coverage to the kitchenette where the system itself was, so easy pickings. Both major design flaws, even though

his cable routes and proposed use of a Texecom Elite were perfect :)

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I think I will def company in to do work - emailed a few others other companies to get quotes. 

I wanted to budget about £1k - I was hoping to get a decent system for that. The Texecom looks like it might be more though. Guess it will be worth the investment!