Security Installer Community

Photos of alarm system installation

Guest mike2004

Guest mike2004
Mike,

Are you a qualified electrician?

Paul

28951[/snapback]

No, my rewiring was done purely as a DIYer (although I did have a qualified spark come out and check everything over once it was all complete :yes: )

Mike

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, my rewiring was done purely as a DIYer (although I did have a qualified spark come out and check everything over once it was all complete :yes:  )

Mike

29113[/snapback]

To be honest, if he wasnt signing it off whats he going to say anyway?

Guest mike2004

29117[/snapback]

Come off it, RICHL. :rolleyes: You don't really think I'm telling porkies just to make myself sound more conscientious, do you? Why would I want to do that?!

Guest mike2004

Sorry to go slightly off topic again and ask another question (I know I originally posted the topic to show pictures rather than to pick everyone's brains... but everyone's been so kind about giving advice... :) :) :) ) .... The panel I'm installing (Texecom Premier 88) supports EOL as well as DP wiring for detectors. Other than being able to have more detectors per zone with DP than EOL, is there anything else to recommend one over the other? Looking at the wiring diagrams in the manual, the protection against tampering looks a bit more sophisticated with the EOL design... am I right?

Mike

Double end of line is a lot more secure as if someone shorts or cuts the cables it will cause a tamper. However double pole wiring is a lot easier to fault find. There are also the logistics of trying to get two resistors on a contact, those of us with years of practice have learnt our little ways of doing it but to a beginner its not as easy as it sounds.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Its probably too late now but why did you go for a panel expandable up to 88 zones JUST for your house when there are exactly the same panels that got up to 24 - the Premier 24. People try and save time and money doing it themselves but rarely do!

Trade Member

Its probably too late now but why did you go for a panel expandable up to 88 zones JUST for your house when there are exactly the same panels that got up to 24 - the Premier 24.  People try and save time and money doing it themselves but rarely do!

29189[/snapback]

Future expansion?

I have a 500 zone panel in my house, as do several other eng's on this forum,

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Guest mike2004
Its probably too late now but why did you go for a panel expandable up to 88 zones JUST for your house when there are exactly the same panels that got up to 24 - the Premier 24.  People try and save time and money doing it themselves but rarely do!

29189[/snapback]

The price difference between the two isn't all that much actually. (especially to almost quadruple the expandability!)

Mike

Come off it, RICHL.  :rolleyes:  You don't really think I'm telling porkies just to make myself sound more conscientious, do you? Why would I want to do that?!

29157[/snapback]

No I meant if the sparky wasnt signing the job off!

Guest mike2004

29117[/snapback]

No I meant if the sparky wasnt signing the job off!

29240[/snapback]

Oops, sorry! I thought "he" in your post meant me! :blush:

That's what happens when I read things first thing in the morning before having my :steamingcup:

Mike

Oops, sorry!  I thought "he" in your post meant me! :blush:

That's what happens when I read things first thing in the morning before having my :steamingcup:

Mike

29249[/snapback]

Coffee first, then post....

I'm barely human before at least 3 cups of Old brown Java in the morning...

Regards

Bellman

Guest nicodemus
Don't worry, ALSEC, I'm already quite handy in the use of drill bits, lengths of wire, and other ways of making wires go where you want them to go from having done my house rewiring (for which I didn't need to consult a forum  :P ).  So I won't need anyone to divulge any secrets on the open forum!

However I must say again how grateful I am for all the general advice and feedback I've been given (and other DIYers in other posts have been given too), and it would be a great shame for the forum if this was not to continue.  It is also important to judge each new"DIYer" on the basis of what seems to be their level of competence and understanding. (And as I indicated in my first post my level of competence is at the level of completing a complete rewiring of a 3-bedroom house.)

28869[/snapback]

I would have to second than Mike. I've just completed installing a Premier 24 in my house (first experience with alarm systems) and the information gained here has been very helpful, but I would have had a go at it myself even without it. The result of this is that when I sell my house a professional alarm company will probably get the chance to take over the alarm system and they will inherit a better install than they would have done without this site. Best of luck with the rest of your install and I hope the finished system gives you the same sense of satisfaction its given me.

Guest mike2004
I would have to second than Mike. I've just completed installing a Premier 24 in my house (first experience with alarm systems) and the information gained here has been very helpful, but I would have had a go at it myself even without it. The result of this is that when I sell my house a professional alarm company will probably get the chance to take over the alarm system and they will inherit a better install than they would have done without this site. Best of luck with the rest of your install and I hope the finished system gives you the same sense of satisfaction its given me.

29359[/snapback]

Thanks for that encouragement, Nicodemus cheers

Mike :)

Double end of line is a lot more secure as if someone shorts or cuts the cables it will cause a tamper. However double pole wiring is a lot easier to fault find. There are also the logistics of trying to get two resistors on a contact, those of us with years of practice have learnt our little ways of doing it but to a beginner its not as easy as it sounds.

29174[/snapback]

Would somebody explain DP for me? Bet i have used it but the term is unknown..

two resistors on a contact?? you don't mean DEOL?

Stop teasing Rich!!!!!

DP= Double Pole, one circuit for the zone, and another for the Tamper circuit (both N/C)

D7

29455[/snapback]

It was funny though D7. :D

Guest mike2004

post-3165-1098914685_thumb.jpg

You could use one of the 2 zones on the control panel for the door contact. This would free up a zone to split up your zone 3 dining/lounge.

28186[/snapback]

Further to your cunning suggestion, I've chased in a run for 2 new cables from the site of the keypad to the PIRs in the lounge and diningroom. This will free up 2 zones from the main panel, allowing more expandability. (Good to have had the chance to do this at this stage, before the redecoration - in matching wallpaper, obviously!):

Yeah. Not being funny but where that chase is, I would be nailing my prize collection of spent condoms there.

I'd have been whizzed by 240vac, pushing up the daffs and that, all because I nailed through a mains cable trying to display a shelf containing the tokens of my sexual conquest.

ACE.gif

Stop teasing Rich!!!!!

DP= Double Pole, one circuit for the zone, and another for the Tamper circuit (both N/C)

D7

29455[/snapback]

and in 8 zone control panel if using DP there is a separate tamper "zone" for every zone?

In the better panels there are individual tampers Georg, in the budget panels there is one global tamper that you series wire all the tampers to.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

In the better panels there are individual tampers Georg, in the budget panels there is one global tamper that you series wire all the tampers to.

29623[/snapback]

Yes, I use those better panels and DEOL (or ID). Which panel for example uses DP and has individual tamper for all zones?

Guest mike2004
Looks to me like the horizontal chase is running in the middle of nowhere, how far above it is the ceiling?

29593[/snapback]

Its about 70cm further up.

The horizontal chase continues off the right of that photo, into and up a small alcove, where it drills out into the corners of the lounge and dining rooms, for their PIRs. In the same alcove, it is joined by the cable runs from the panel to the hall PIR and the soundbomb.

Yeah. Not being funny but where that chase is, I would be nailing my prize collection of spent condoms there.

I'd have been whizzed by 240vac, pushing up the daffs and that, all because I nailed through a mains cable trying to display a shelf containing the tokens of my sexual conquest.

29600[/snapback]

Well, what can I say! I don't know what would look worse: the present wallpaper or your trophy collection!

Anyway, you'll be pleased to know there's no 240v in my alarm cables :w00t:

and in 8 zone control panel if using DP there is a separate tamper "zone" for every zone?

29618[/snapback]

In the Premier there's 4 terminals (A,A,T,T) for every zone input, so every zone has its own N/C tamper loop.

Archived