Security Installer Community

Intruder Test: Wireless Alarm Panels

Dutchy

Hi all.

With your installation experience what do you guys think, is this a reliable test.

Benchmark Intruder Test:   Wireless Alarm Panels

Verdict

The I-on 16 from Eaton Security is the oldest system in the test, and is also the most basic. When it was launched, simplicity was one of its major selling points. However, in today’s market, expectations for wireless alarm systems have changed. The system is left behind by the others. In low-risk domestic applications, it will have some appeal.

The Enforcer from Pyronix makes use of two-way radio communications to provide a credible intruder detection system. It has a number of features which deliver benefits to the installer. Added functions ensure reliability across radio paths, and for many that will be sufficient.

Risco’s Agility 3 takes a slightly different approach, in that it is aimed more at the customer who wants value-added benefits from their intruder system. It certainly plays more to the lifestyle consumer market than the traditional user of alarms, but this exploitation of technology can help win contracts. The two-way radio functionality ensures the alarm data is received by the panel. For installers seeking to move into this market, it will tick a lot of boxes.

Texecom’s Premier Elite 24-W uses the Ricochet platform, which in itself delivers a very high degree of flexibility with regard to the design and implementation of wireless systems. The core functionality is as you would expect from a credible system aimed at residential and lower risk commercial applications. However, it is the potential offered by the mesh-based infrastructure that will appeal to many installers and integrators.

http://benchmarkmagazine.com/intruder-test-wireless-alarm-panels/

post-70662-0-72041300-1448456417_thumb.j

Kind Regards.

16 is a dinosaur, you can't update it and you can't add IP type signalling unlike every other model.

Amazed it hasn't been replaced by an 'ion 20' with the same serial port as the rest and a couple of wired zones

Before anyone says 'and 2 way wireless', agreed, but the stupid thing is, it's been 2 way capable since launch.

The fools just haven't released any non-control type 2-way devices for it other than (recently) a smoke alarm.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

16 is a dinosaur, you can't update it and you can't add IP type signalling unlike every other model.

Amazed it hasn't been replaced by an 'ion 20' with the same serial port as the rest and a couple of wired zones

Before anyone says 'and 2 way wireless', agreed, but the stupid thing is, it's been 2 way capable since launch.

The fools just haven't released any non-control type 2-way devices for it other than (recently) a smoke alarm.

But how many customers want IP smartphone etc etc anyway, most want a system that detects an intruder and makes a row when it does!

But how many customers want IP smartphone etc etc anyway, most want a system that detects an intruder and makes a row when it does!

I'd actually argue they want smartphone more than IP signalling, but Enforcer can take a Webway Nano, as can Texe, so it's way behind the curve.

Just fitting an iOn 40 today which will go straight onto Webway.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I'd actually argue they want smartphone more than IP signalling, but Enforcer can take a Webway Nano, as can Texe, so it's way behind the curve.

Just fitting an iOn 40 today which will go straight onto Webway.

But the smart phone stuff doesn't conform to NSI, Texecom are doing a firmware update that doesn't allow setting if there's been activity on a zone within five minutes of you trying to set the system from your phone so what's the point of that you may as well prox out as you go, don't get me wrong I love tech, but IP intruder alarms are a bit of a turn off for me and I can't really see it as a selling point for new systems other than for notifications, but what do I know I thought EBay was gonna be a flash in the pan!

But the smart phone stuff doesn't conform to NSI, Texecom are doing a firmware update that doesn't allow setting if there's been activity on a zone within five minutes of you trying to set the system from your phone so what's the point of that you may as well prox out as you go, don't get me wrong I love tech, but IP intruder alarms are a bit of a turn off for me and I can't really see it as a selling point for new systems other than for notifications, but what do I know I thought EBay was gonna be a flash in the pan!

Smartphone stuff does comply with the standards, it does not have to comply to NSI, They don't make the rules, they just inspect too the standards we all use. No idea where the 5 minutes comes from, the only requirement is to sound internal sounders for the exit duration when arming remotely, and to log who used a remote device. Previous firmware would remote arm instantly which could cause false activations if someone is still in the building. Highly unlikely in my opinion, but it could happen.

Firmware was launched last week that allows the required capability. Thing is everybody expects anything electrical they buy to have an app, whether they use it or not is a different matter. Its all part of the buying decision and not having it seems to most to be a negative.

I have been testing our system for years now, never once armed the system with my phone except during testing. I use a fob as its on the keys I will use to lock the door and open the car. Notifications are useful when i am working away, at least i know if the last one out of the house has actually armed the system.

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom