Security Installer Community

Questions About Fcu

bennynoneck

cheers.

I dont see them as worrying questions. You have to find out somehow and someone must have told you at one time! 

Usually in a learning environment, with someone qualified supervising or from a proper book, not from a forum 5 minutes before the job, that's the issue.

Admittedly I did my own house having read many, many books on the subject, but didn't touch anyone elses till I'd done my C+Gs

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I can never remember the numbers, it was whatever Part 1 and Part 2 Electrical Installation was in '95

In those days lecturers had discretion so I only had to do exam and practical for Pt 1, then studied for Pt 2 'properly'.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

So people are happy to tell me to avoid Yale at all costs but when I go for something that is more complicated I then get told not to do it, in the diy section of the forum, because I'm not a professional.

I chased out all my electric cable runs in my house, laid new cable, wired everything up and then had the leccie do the consumer unit, test and sign off. All was agreed beforehand and he even said I did a better job than most people he knew as I was ultra careful (ie only drilling within specified sections of joists etc instead of one whacking great hole wherever was easiest). I didn't need to have a degree to lay cable in conduit and understand everything electrical beforehand as when u boil it all down its not that difficult. I can wire in a spur and a fcu etc I was just asking what cable u guys use from the fcu to the control panel, that's all. And was asking in the diy forum!

i still maintain that my three questions were valid but never mind.

If you have to ask these questions you probably shouldn't be doing electrics. Stick it on a plug or get somebody qualified in.

Surely sticking it on a plug is just as bad if he has no idea about electrics? Who's to say he can wire a plug :-s

Other than isolating the supply there isn't much difference between connecting a spur up or connecting a plug up....

So people are happy to tell me to avoid Yale at all costs 

Yes, always, don't just ask us search for the Cybergibbons website!

he even said I did a better job than most people he knew as I was ultra careful (ie only drilling within specified sections of joists etc instead of one whacking great hole wherever was easiest). I can wire in a spur and a fcu etc I was just asking what cable u guys use from the fcu to the control panel, that's all. And was asking in the diy forum!

But... anyone who knows anything about electrical work will know fixed wiring is just that and for everything else you should use flex, it's a bit of a fundamental and a really good way to spot amateur work, especially where flex is tacked around the room as an unfused fixed wiring extension to a 32A ring main by some idiot.

We do have a DIY section, but it is alarms that it was envisaged being used for. Your questions *are* valid, and were answered, but still demonstrate a potential to do something unsafe.