Security Installer Community

Diy Fix-Advice Needed

Sorry I forgot to add, the original box that packed in was an 8 cam system, the new dvr is 16cam and only has the old 8 cams attached. Do I still need the extra power supply?

Think about it. Chances are the psu was specced for 8 cameras. Uts possible its big enough for more it depends on its output. But even if it is you will still have volt drop issues if u don't use a big enough cable.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Using cat5 without experience in planning and faultfinding is a recipie for interferance. Rg59 or rg59 shotgun is far more forgiving.

It sounds like you are fitting useless ****, but at least decent cable will give you a fighting chance, and an opportunity to fit something better but still inexpensive later. Had you ahveasked beforehand we could have pointed you in the direction of some usable kit for not much money.

Using cat5 without experience in planning and faultfinding is a recipie for interferance. Rg59 or rg59 shotgun is far more forgiving.

It sounds like you are fitting useless ****, but at least decent cable will give you a fighting chance, and an opportunity to fit something better but still inexpensive later. Had you ahveasked beforehand we could have pointed you in the direction of some usable kit for not much money.

Yea it's cheap **** but the reviews online seemed ok to the novice DIYer like me lol what kit would you recommend and where from?

Hikvision or qvis is solid budget kit, particularly the low light performance on the cameras.

Where are you based?

Be careful buying cable, you need genuine copper, not copper clad aluminium or steel.

I still think rg59 is more suitable for a novice. The number of poorly done cat 5 jobs i have come across is unreal especially when people insist in buying **** baluns.

Edited by petrolhead