Security Installer Community

Galaxy Dimension 48

shamanblue

Hi.

I have a dimension 48 with 2 keypads, 2 power RIOs, one boxed RIO and an E080 ethernet card.

The trouble is that every few months some or all of the modules go missing. When I check the log afterwords it shows the list of rios and keypads and comm modules as -missing followed immediately by +missing. It seems they only drop off for a second.

I have already replaced the ethernet module and all of my comms cable is in belden with 0 volts commoned between panel and power RIOs.

Looking for some advice from your experiences.

Thank you. 

One is 6 Meters and the second is 15 Meters.

The screen of the Belden is only grounded at one end i.e. they are both grounded to control panel cabinet. 

BTW this has been happening over 2 years now and this has happened about 6 times in the 2 years.

No other issues with system at all.

Thanks.

Was just checking the log, during yesterdays occurrence all Mods with missing except power RIO 102.

So I think the next thing i'll replace will be 102.

the trouble is it could be a long time before it happens again.

I'm hoping its not the panel its a version 6.80.

At least its not a customers house but the missus is doubting my skills! 

Is RIO 102 on one of the RS485 branches on its own ?   If yes, then suspect the connection to the other branch.  If no, then it can be any of the devices on the bus that's causing the issue. Just because 102 remained, doesn't mean it was causing the fault. It could just mean that it had just responded prior to the bus error and managed to respond again when the bus error had recovered.

Check the devices diagnostics reports in menu 60. Keep an eye on the devices for a while, ensuring that they remain at 100%. If a device has issues, it may drop below 100% momentarily and this may be an indication that it's the one bringing down the bus.

With power off, check each devices differential pair resistances with respect to ground - check for low resistances (panel too).  If that all looks okay, then it's a matter of swapping out until you root cause to the faulty device. 

All modules are at 100% in Diagnostics except Keypad 19 which is at 0%.

I have seen the ethernet comm port 4 and the Keypad 15 both drop to 96% occasionally

but the ethernet card is in the panel connected using the engineer lead that plugs on to the four pins

And then you data line out is taken from the ethernet module ?

It isn't mate.

Try it

I only commoned em when using split outputs

Must be, as it doesnt work on remote buildings unless common the negs, may be as they are not on the same supply.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Honeywell documents the ground going through, so that's all coblers?

Look at the 485 protocol it will show it's needed. Plus as above you link negs on cameras. Trust me 485 does not need a common to work. Other stuff does but not the data

Is it an adt firmware

Firmware is irrelevant

Don't get me wrong its good advice to prevent switching issues, but isn't needed for just data

I wouldn't as a rule common negs unless switching outputs across expanders. Electrical isolation is preferable imo

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Look at the 485 protocol it will show it's needed. Plus as above you link negs on cameras. Trust me 485 does not need a common to work. Other stuff does but not the data

Firmware is irrelevant

Don't get me wrong its good advice to prevent switching issues, but isn't needed for just data

I wouldn't as a rule common negs unless switching outputs across expanders. Electrical isolation is preferable imo

but thats the whole point of rios lims zems etc,might as well wire everything back to the panel if your worried about phase issues

And then you data line out is taken from the ethernet module ?

Must be, as it doesnt work on remote buildings unless common the negs, may be as they are not on the same supply.

Good point 

No the data out isnt taken from the ethernet module.

I have two data lines connected directly to the control panel and i have the ethernet module plugged onto the 4 pins.

Do you think this could cause the problem?

Well if you remember I had this issue with a 520 , a line dropping some modules , and only thing I found was the neg problem since then been a while the problem hasn't surfaced

ah well the one 520 you couldnt fix and dissed a neg didnt fix the cause did it,so was it a phase problem or a supply problem or something else