Security Installer Community

School Alert Notification System

Hello all

I'm hoping that someone can help me with a an inquiry I received recently from a school that I do work for.

They want an emergency alert system that they can activate when an emergency situation arises, for example an unidentified person on site or a bomb alert etc. They are requesting four different sounds to activate or speakers to alert of the situation. Has anyone carried out an install like this? The school has an existing end of class sounder system which activates sounders through out the building however this new system seems to be too sophisticated to add on to it.

Thanks

Joey 

the problem with tones and 4 different ones they will have to be very distinctive staff will forget them kids will think its class change or fire alarm and will bolt the second they go off,better to go the spoken route ie staff announcement code 100,200 etc and up sell the benefits of a pa system

Theres 64 tones on the nexus and certainly some are similar but theres more than 4 distinct sounds (you can try the sounds on there website sample files) and if you can have it so it plays a voice message in between so it is very clear what its for, how it compares to the pa well that's another issue.

You can even record your own,  don't think you can with the sonos range though.

Thank you guys for all your input, I have some leads now that I can work on.

The Nexus sounders look like what I need, what control unit can I use with these & also how to activate & reset after each emergency situation? Can I install 4 push buttons or hold up buttons to activate each channel? I'll also research into The Public Address system as that would seem to be a viable option too.

Thanks

Joey

Thank you guys for all your input, I have some leads now that I can work on.

The Nexus sounders look like what I need, what control unit can I use with these & also how to activate & reset after each emergency situation? Can I install 4 push buttons or hold up buttons to activate each channel? I'll also research into The Public Address system as that would seem to be a viable option too.

Thanks

Joey

depends on the existing system,are they using the fire alarm sounders for class change(quite common method)

Text pagers for the teachers?

Mucho cheaper....

for every member of staff? if the current sounders for class change are independent the wiring could be reused for speakers saving a great deal on install costs

Is the school flood wired for networking? Thinking true ip solution here not just sharing wires...

doesnt sound like it,a school wanting a bomb warning tone is taking safeguarding to a new level 

or just a stand alone pa and leave the fire alarm to do its job

Yes absolutely, amazes me that schools use the fire alarm tone for breaks , Muppets , or whoever rigged it up that way

Surely it doesn't conform to BS if they can do that

I don't know what regs it breaks but why would you confuse the fire tones with break tones unless tones are selectable ? On a fire system , hadn't seen that normally fixed once fitted

I don't know what regs it breaks but why would you confuse the fire tones with break tones unless tones are selectable ? On a fire system , hadn't seen that normally fixed once fitted

like the weekly test,times