Security Installer Community

Pd6662 And En 50131

Ok, I have just left my company and have gone independent.

so when setting up shop I discovered that the required documents pd6662 en 50131 etc, cost a small fortune.

am I missing something is there a way of obtaining the documents for free or do i have to pay an arm and leg?

You can 'join' BSI and get 50% off the lot - it usually works out being worth it

You can befriend anyone with a .ac email address and get access through them (i.e a uni student or employee)

You can join SSAIB or NSI and get hugely reduced 'annual payment' access online

As you've probably just discovered, going it alone is just one long bill (if you're doing it right)

TBH BSI costs were the least of my worries.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

you also need 4737 for takeovers 8423 8418 I could go on and on. If its because you are going for NSI or SSAIB I wouldn't worry just yet. Make sure you know the standards and that you are installing to them, once you join the inspectorate you can pay extra and get their standards online 

It might of been wise to fully look into the cost of setting up and running a business before jumping ship.

If you get approved by SSAIB you can pay them about £60.00 / £70.00 per year to have access to all of the regs online.

If you get approved by SSAIB you can pay them about £60.00 / £70.00 per year to have access to all of the regs online.

I believe NSI do this too but dearer :whistle:

you also need 4737 for takeovers 8423 8418 I could go on and on. If its because you are going for NSI or SSAIB I wouldn't worry just yet. Make sure you know the standards and that you are installing to them, once you join the inspectorate you can pay extra and get their standards online 

Absolutely, I didn't take the OP's post at face value, but no, it isn't just PD6662 and the intruder EN its many, many more standards documents you will need to hold.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

If your not going inspectorate, then you need fck all, i bought a load of them a few year ago, one of my biggest regrets.

That and listerning to jimbo and signing up to the dpa.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

You can 'join' BSI and get 50% off the lot - it usually works out being worth it

You can befriend anyone with a .ac email address and get access through them (i.e a uni student or employee)

You can join SSAIB or NSI and get hugely reduced 'annual payment' access online

As you've probably just discovered, going it alone is just one long bill (if you're doing it right)

TBH BSI costs were the least of my worries.

How can a uni student help pal? Do they need a NUS card aswell or anything?

Edited by MrHappy
tidied quote

Any university student with access to the universities services will be able to access any BSI publication via PDF.

However, anyone other than the student using them esp. commercially may or may not breach several terms and conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the help.

as far as I am aware I have been fitting to all relevant standards. however hard to know 100% without having them in the office.

I am off to find a uni student

thanks again.

Edited by dylan1055

Seeing as it's about regs, you all have to work to BS 7671 (as you all know !-) )

The new ones out now and comes into force in a few weeks.

Just a heads up for the peeps who don't know all the changes, the main one that affects you lot is that all cables in all environments that are mounted in a escape routes now have to have metal fixings, even a door bell cable clipped across a front door in someone's house.