Security Installer Community

Are you a professional?

jb-eye

Guest livewire
Fair comment!

26321[/snapback]

No, let's be real here, this is one of the best security forums on the net.

I enjoy coming here thanks to some great lads eg. bellman, eng, richl,wazza, etc... every time I read one of their posts I laugh, without this the forum would not be the same!

Thanks for your technical answers and contributions to the forum, keep up the good work!

rgds :D

No, I thought it should have been left to the "professionals" to do :yes: , just to keep everyone happy (BTW I am in IT Industry)...

Agree and as i said we went to the professionals. We paid for the training and now do in house changes. We do not resell web services as its not our business. We are competent in IP which is a major crossover in security & IT we don’t service our own vehicles although we do the air, & water. Sorry if you think im taking the bread from your mouth. But the IT industry prostituted itself to me and should i decide to go that route i think i will probably out perform most within it.

Oh Yeah We also pay an annual retainer to a local IT consultant.

Jef

Customers!

Guest livewire

Thanks ALSEC,

I think the subject has a wrong title here as these are not the factors upon you decide whether someone is a professional anyway.

I am fairly sure the lads I mentioned in my above post are being very professional in what they do daya to day,at the same time they always try to help out members here on the forum as well as entertain everyone, this is what the forum is for. :P

Whooaaaa!

My comment was made in jest, please don't see it any other way.

Its me that should appolagise, im wading in murky water here and the point is we should all be aware we have responsibility. As i said this is my gripe but im no angel.

Remember As JC said let him without sin cast the first stone. Oh mother stop that. (its a Joke im not a BB)

Jef

Customers!

Hows about us all putting in ideas as to where we should draw the line.

I`ll then make a post and a page on the site detailing what we would be willing to give advice on, and what we will not.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

That'd be difficult to do Dave as each case and inquirer has different history and experiance. These range from the total novice to the very competant.

I've no problem with dishing out advice or technical knowledge, that's what this forum's here for right ?.

Knowledge should be shared around to make everybodies life better. it also dispells some of the mistrust people have. an informed customer is a happy customer.

Several of the posters I have replied to are freshly started apprentices who are craven for knowledge to fill in the blanks that the collage courses have missed out, and i've had some very in depth conversations with technically minded people from outside the alarm field who have more than sufficient gumption to be able to do the work themselves.

The offer of advice even if it is just "contact a reputable company near to you" needs to be judged on a case by case basis as was mentioned above and I don't think it would be easy to make a hard and fast set of rules.

Just my thoughts.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

My thoughts are give the advice, either to a professional installer or a diy person.

There is a simple question posted elsewere and he is unable to get any help (not trade).

If he is diy then my guess he would go to a mate ect, bung them a few pounds

and get the job done, not go to a company, taking out a maint contract.

As mentioned earlier, galaxy manuals are available free from the honeywell website. And so are a lot of manuals from different suppliers.

If you ring technical helplines they don't ask if you are trade/diy.

Help people out, feel better and if the panel blows up wack 'em for a new one!!

You definatley can't get a galaxy manual from the website - in fact i don't know of any manufactuer who would supidly allow access to installer manuals to the gereral public! However, these manuals are still available if you spend a little bit of time looking.

DIY Pete - give me an example?

Honest - I'm not trying to start a bitching match here between the forum on which panel is DIYish or not!!

:o

Archived