Security Installer Community

Are you a professional?

jb-eye

Hi all

I am an avid reader of this forum and would like to think I both offer & receive valuable advice from fellow professionals. It does however trouble me about the amount of misplaced information being offered freely to the general public.

The temptation to show off one’s individual knowledge will only serve to erode our industry. I will use as an example the solicitor. If you were to have a legal problem this person would suggest you make an appointment and come see him at his office. He will not say to you “no bother mate just get the court to send you a free form and say xyz and that’s you sorted” A solicitor is a professional he will sell you his knowledge. My company sell their hard earned knowledge, we stopped selling our time years ago and this has earned us respect not loathing. The firms that don’t charge call out fees don’t do themselves or anyone else any favours. Same pricing for contract and non-contract customers is despicable, if the customer doesn’t commit make them pay a premium. Goods business practices will serve us all well. Profit Respect & wages will rise.

Jef

Customers!

I think that every situation has to be tackled individually. If someone exhibits a clear understanding of what is required to install/service etc a security sysem then there are going to do it regardless of whether we tell them to sling thier hook or not. The point is that there are several types of people that come to this site seeking information (far too many to list out here), and they are all looking for something different.

I understand what you are saying about showing off etc, and I really do think that anything more than this equipment can do what you are after or yes it can or no i can't should be left to the non-public forums to which only authorised or at least verified people can have access.

The difficulty is also that for £1.50 I can buy a Galaxy manual in PDF from ebay! The information is there - at least here we have the ablity to control it's distribution.

Ronnie

I have trouble in relating to some of the posts in here re normal day to day running etc as my company tends to get involved in large contracts only with very indepth maintenance agreements. Although, that said, I can definately see your point. I am also trying to move jobs to a "normal" alarmco at the moment so this really is useful stuff for me as it gives a great insight into how you guys do things.

Maybe we should have a poll or something about what is and isn't given out to non-trade members in public postings??

Advice to customers is fine, but there appears to be an element that is happy in explaining the whole installation process to the DIY enthusiast. Worse still money is discussed with recommended costs that stem from realistic to unreal. There has to be a point where advice stops with “you should really contact a professional”. Individually I have noted that some ‘installers’ have asked question that wouldn’t reflect their position within our industry. In particular I was about to offer help to a post last week then upon reading that persons previous posts it became quite apparent that the individual lacked the basics and was using the forum for training. Do others vet in the same way. I am always amazed at the number of jobs we are called to remedy where people have taken on contractual obligations with no experience of the task in hand. Thanks for a forum that allows me to grump.

Jef

Customers!

Did you design your Web site or you contracted out a WEB Design company? ;)

Website was original outsoursed in 1994 (all written in code) now all done in- house, why don't you like the spelling mistakes.

:wub:

Jef

Customers!

Guest livewire
Did you design your Web site or you contracted out a WEB Design company? ;)

Website was original outsoursed in 1994 (all written in code) now all done in- house, why don't you like the spelling mistakes.

:wub:

Jef

26319[/snapback]

No, I thought it should have been left to the "professionals" to do :yes: , just to keep everyone happy (BTW I am in IT Industry)...

rgds

Archived