Security Installer Community

Security Defences

AlarmScot

My insurer asks for 5 lever locks, do five pin euro barrels count as a five lever like a chubb deadlock? If not my insurance is invalid as well!

Most have a disclaimer (if not all) something like 'or, in the case of UPVC doors to xxx standard, the factory fitted locks provided with the product'..

Otherwise virtually no-one in the UK would be insured. I've never seen one that hasn't tbh (for domestic).

Because until very recently the only commonly applied standard for euro locks was the size AFAIK.

We've recently been told our MTBs must be 'chained to the garage wall, unless a BS standard lock is used'. Luckilly my recent Avocet upgrade is to the new BS eurocylinder spec,

*but* I think anything with a barrel shorter than 35 or 40mm single sided (as some of the garage door models will be) are NOT BS stamped unlike the vast majority of the range.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

perhaps I move in the wrong circles?

rather than bumped or snapped, I've only seen the boot marks of the lesser spotted smack rat on plastic doors to gain entry...

That species is round these parts to.

Ive never seen any tell tales signs of the great crested snapper or golden tipped bumper.

• Upvote 1

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

I with norman on this, industry is fooked.

Reckon my prices are middle of the road as such, and i get no end of domestic who expect to pay **** all for an install, i hardly bother with domestic intruder anymore.

We are a business not a charity, not diy sos, fitting a lock for a fiver is a piss take.

How are "We" part of the problem? 

Coz our company makes little or no profit on a lock install and coz we want homes to be safe?   Or are we making you guys look expensive?

OK, because people who fit things for little or no profit are the reason this and many other industries are on it's ****. I don't fit locks but I hope someone doesn't start fitting alarms or whatever your company does for 'little or no profit' cos (sp) they want homes to be safe.

Now do you see?

fitting a lock for a fiver is a piss take.

Indeed it is, monkeys and peanuts.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

I was thinking of AS's point on replacing **** locks, i agree the client probably would be grateful of the advice/service, but im sure as fook do it for a fiver.

I sell Avocet ones, easy quote at survey as I price all double sided and single sided (i.e garage door, metal shed door, cabinets etc...) the same. I add 25% to my cost and fit free. Either they want it or not, as Norm says easy money as you're already there.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

No I can get into your house in about 10seconds without needing to break any window or even find a open window or door!  

I'd like to see you try.

Many trade members here are capable of bypassing or jamming security systems, we don't go gloating about it.

The fact is this makes us better installers, we know how to install systems to avoid or minimise exploits.

You seem to think nobody here has heard of lock bumping (or snapping, pretty much the same thing).

I am certain most in the security trade know how **** older euro cylinders are and have 5 lever mortices or anti snap euros.