Security Installer Community

Galaxy G2-20 Expansion Aditional Building

chris77

Have a 12 zone panel with single keypad in house, recently added a RF Portal which is now covering some small out buildings also the system is fitted with a selfmon board for sms email etc. There is also a garage a sort distance away from the house which has an old seperate alarm panel in it, trying to link them so the garage would be on the selfmon.

Options fit RF sensors but realy need to keep the external bellbox on end of garage

Add a powered RIO + keypad in garage could be done with abit of work get a cable across, I belive this will run a bell box, questions what happens if the link wire is cut ? will it go into alarm, work seperately or just stop working. I assume I can then group ie House, garage, outbuildings did this before on another house so banks of zones are linked to users.

Or is it possible to have two G2-20 panels and do a link wire.

Whats the max number of zones allowed with a 12 zone panel, Rf portal and Powered RIO ?

The clues in the name, 2-20, so 20 zones max.

That can be a rf portal on the panel, 12 hard wired or wire free, or add a rio/ power rio giving 20 hard wired zones, or 20 rf zones.

If the cable is cut it will either tamper the house alarm if unset, or if the system is set it will trigger the bells.

You could keep the panel separate in the garage, get a relay to follow the bell, then strap a galaxy rf wired door contact to it, then say prog that as 24hrs at the house, call it garage, then it will SMS you that the garage has triggered.

I suppose the downside to the coupled portal solution is granularity in reporting and being able to make an informed decision regarding any false alarm.  A portal solution with multiple RF sensors in the garage would be preferable, but the solution would lack any sounder local to the garage. If he didn't want to dig, then it would be the way to go.

I have the powered RIO duct cabled into the garage about 20 meters away from the house.  This has the benefits of being able to use the RIO outputs to control the garage door and lighting, (benefits of the Dimension/G3/Flex panels) along with the power RIO being connected to extra sirens in and outside the garage.  It does add another 7Ah battery for maintenance and you have to dig the cable in to start with though.