Security Installer Community

So This Is Why My Cameras Wont Show Remotely

Because getting a a static IP on a domestic can be a pain. Sky refused to give me one

Exactly.

Bt will only give you one on a business account, or its something like £10 a month. DDNS is ideal for small domestis

Sky, say no more.

To me if remote connectivity is desired an ISP that understands and can support things properly is a must.

You can get static IPs and some really great support from eclipse for a tenner a month. That's who we use when we supply broadband as part of our gear.

I have a static IP but its easier to remember a DNS like peterjames.noip.com  I dont have to write the number down anywhere. Also we have a guarding co that monitors our CCTV (I use Dyn DNS for them) they can see which site they are logging into because the dns is the name of the customer rather than a number

You could have peteshouse.petesalarmco.co.uk

If dyndns goes down you or the arc gets nowt and it's outside your control.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Sky, say no more.

To me if remote connectivity is desired an ISP that understands and can support things properly is a must.

You can get static IPs and some really great support from eclipse for a tenner a month. That's who we use when we supply broadband as part of our gear.

VM don't offer statics either.

The thing your forgetting though is shitty BT.

They are cherry picking the post codes they install fibre to. So may areas are still stuck with 1MB broadband unless they go with VM

Sky, say no more.

The Arc has a list of the ips as well just in case, the DNS is used for convenience, I could set up my own DNS here using my server but for a tenner a year it was less hassle. As I said my ip is static. I can offer Dyn DNS as a service to customers on Sky as I got several in the package. Your right it is a third party though and it is inconvenient that no-ip is down I will need to set up another DNS now as a backup

VM don't offer statics either.

The thing your forgetting though is shitty BT.

They are cherry picking the post codes they install fibre to. So may areas are still stuck with 1MB broadband unless they go with VM

And here's me complaining that my vdsl2 FTTC is only 45/13 :)

In fairness cubit. Must be taking a while banging all that fibre and cabinets in. Must be keeping the 3rd party inspectors busy signing off so many installs :)

Surprised that vm won't. Though all things Virgin were very customer focused.

The Arc has a list of the ips as well just in case, the DNS is used for convenience, I could set up my own DNS here using my server but for a tenner a year it was less hassle. As I said my ip is static. I can offer Dyn DNS as a service to customers on Sky as I got several in the package. Your right it is a third party though and it is inconvenient that no-ip is down I will need to set up another DNS now as a backup

I've away been nervous about it. Luckily I have a cop out. MASvideo doesn't support dns, only IPs so I've had a great excuse not to support any dns service. For the end users we have xxxxx.4isecurity.co.uk

My street doesn't have fibre from VM and BT fibre has been coming soon for about a year.

VM say there isn't enough demand to sort my street but the next street over has fibre.

If I could leave sky and BT behind I would.

And here's me complaining that my vdsl2 FTTC is only 45/13 :)

In fairness cubit. Must be taking a while banging all that fibre and cabinets in. Must be keeping the 3rd party inspectors busy signing off so many installs :)

Surprised that vm won't. Though all things Virgin were very customer focused.

I've away been nervous about it. Luckily I have a cop out. MASvideo doesn't support dns, only IPs so I've had a great excuse not to support any dns service. For the end users we have xxxxx.4isecurity.co.uk

To be fair to VM, whilst they don't do static for domestics, the dynamic IP allocated doesn't change randomly, unlike BT.

As long as you have a reliable router it is therefore most likely you keep the same IP. Not perfect i know but if BT won't upgrade the service then VM it is.

My street doesn't have fibre from VM and BT fibre has been coming soon for about a year.

VM say there isn't enough demand to sort my street but the next street over has fibre.

If I could leave sky and BT behind I would.

Was worse for me. I had 1mb when I moved here but the planned go live was 2 months before I moved in. Cabinets were installed so I thought it was a done deal by the time we moved in FTTC would be live. 14 months later. It was. Painful months

I'm with BT.

Sometimes its stays the same Ip for about two months or so, then other times, it'll change every other day. There doesnt seem any real reason as to why it so random.

Was worse for me. I had 1mb when I moved here but the planned go live was 2 months before I moved in. Cabinets were installed so I thought it was a done deal by the time we moved in FTTC would be live. 14 months later. It was. Painful months

I'm getting about 6meg down 1 meg up at the moment.

My exchange is taking orders according to open reach but neither BT or Sky will accept a order for infinity .