Security Installer Community

Cameras With Rj45 Plugs & Internal Baluns?

Steven_W

Are there any cameras out there that have integral baluns, only needing a CAT5 terminated on an RJ45?  I was thinking that being as unless you are using RS485 control pair, you only need 2 pairs for power and video and therefore if you followed the same scheme throughout couldn't you do that instead? Surely quicker and with a weatherproof housing causes less issues...

Some (a limited no. of pricier) SystemQ ones have integral balun and 24VAC converter making them more suitable for TP cables, but they are not RJ plug in AFAIK,

you have to terminate into spring clips. Never used them.

I have seen other cameras on my travels that appear to havce baluns on the PCB and RJ, but I can't be sure the RJ was for connection rather than some sort of remote control as the installers had just used the standard BNC.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I wouldn't expect any cameras to have RJ45 connectors, unless there IP obviously.

Why increase the cost of the product and fitting when terminals will work perfectly.

Also if using a stuffing gland into the housing IMO this would make the camera more awkward to replace. Defeating the object of a connector in the first place.

There are cameras with built in baluns and terminals about. Ever used enough to recommend a brand tho.

Archived