Security Installer Community

Best Dvr

kingkongdaz

The chap who did mine took him an hour, he was fuming. Windows 8, trying to get round it... He told me it usually only takes 5-10 mins, then on the other hand you can get nightmare set ups.  Paying him £25 to sort all this out is peanuts. Well I personally think so.   On the other hand, I should know how to do it....

Windows 8 has absolutely zero bearing in setting up port forwarding on a router, sounds like you were fed a ******** excuse from someone who doesn't have a clue. Another clue they are not all that is the fact they would travel to a site for £25 all in.

Windows 8 has absolutely zero bearing in setting up port forwarding on a router, sounds like you were fed a ******** excuse from someone who doesn't have a clue. Another clue they are not all that is the fact they would travel to a site for £25 all in.

That's what I thought but kept quiet incase AP thinks I'm being a ***** again :)

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Accessing the dvr itself might take a couple of seconds more as activex is disabled by default after w8.1 i think it was but other than that I have never come across a router that had any issues in being configured from any platform, i quite often use my fruitpadmini if there is wifi.

With the prices being charged for the systems (based on adverts), there's already a black hole where the profit should be.

That's it though, 5 mins for you, but not everyone is super computer savvy..... All of your "fitters" 100% nailed on with computer networking skills?? I doubt it, they'll get you to commission whatever.

Everyone has different skill sets, I love nothing more than thrashing in cables, getting into the nitty gritty, or maybe solving a decent fault.....

On a recent course I've been to, it highlighted to me most NSI gold co employees (certainly in the NW) are not fully IT savvy.

When an engineer is struggling I RDC in and do it for them most of the time it is simple but I have come across one or two routers that have been bstardised by the isp. Plus Net have a Thompson modem that will only let you port forward predefined setups there is no custom port setting at all I had to change the firmware and everything, but I couldn't do that remotely so to get us out of a hole I changed the port settings on the DVR until I could get to site.

Hey guys don't worry, say your bit.   I'm learning from new again.  I know of other guys in the trade, maybe he is trying it on he has been doing 2-3 a week since I set-up a month ago. Had no complaints as yet.  Spoke to one of my old tech guys today who worked with me whilst I was at working for a CCTV company years ago.  Told me to get one of the installers to ring him after the install and he will talk him through it.  He said most should only take 5 mins max.  If it wasn't for my other business I would go round and do them all (after training :-) ) 

Probably will get the lads to ring Steven in the New Year, (get him to talk them through it) it will only cost me £10 job.  Suppose its training for them too!  

When an engineer is struggling I RDC in and do it for them most of the time it is simple but I have come across one or two routers that have been bstardised by the isp. Plus Net have a Thompson modem that will only let you port forward predefined setups there is no custom port setting at all I had to change the firmware and everything, but I couldn't do that remotely so to get us out of a hole I changed the port settings on the DVR until I could get to site.

BT do the same with the Thomson Routers they use. Bloody awful things.

Every router that I have opened ports on has always had custom ports. Some took a while to find as was in a menu in a menu. The worst on was a tp link, but got there in the end with the help of portforward website. The only other strange ones are when you have to assign one of the external ip addresses as the internal address. This was a bt business hub with 5 static ip addresses.

Every router that I have opened ports on has always had custom ports. Some took a while to find as was in a menu in a menu. The worst on was a tp link, but got there in the end with the help of portforward website. The only other strange ones are when you have to assign one of the external ip addresses as the internal address. This was a bt business hub with 5 static ip addresses.

Ah yes, that multi IP address is a real kicker the first time you come across it.

In BTs defence, they do allude to it in the letter they send out with the account. But that's the one we never get to see.